Should I buy iPhone or iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dominordelingua, Nov 1, 2008.

1. dominordelingua macrumors member

It's getting close to the time when I can finally upgrade my phone with AT&T; about three weeks exactly, and I'm still undecided about getting the iPhone. I was actually planning on getting the iPod Touch anyway, but since I will be upgrading phones at the same time, would it make sense just to go for the iPhone?

Also, AT&T allows customers to upgrade a couple months before their two year contract ends, which is what I'm approaching. Will I be able to get the iPhone at then? I'm never quite sure what constitutes "eligibility", if someone knows please let me know! I'm not willing to pay the $399 price, so I am eligible.

Thanks you much.

2. ajpak macrumors member

Well what do you use your phone for? Blackberry bold comes out on tuesday which is an amazing phone but i have an iphone as well... I use the iphone as my main phone, I love its touch screen to much to give it up... If you need copy and paste, mms, the iphone is not for you... I never use my iphone for movies or music and i will eventually get a ipod touch to use it for music/ movies. I've owned every mainstream blackberry phone up to date and they all get boring as heck! and even though the bold can give you html websites now, scrolling through them suck.. nothing like the iphone! I'd say get a iPhone and a ipod touch later :) I dont think you will be disappointed in the iPhone unless you absolutely need mms, and copy and paste

3. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

If you have the option too I would definitly opt to get the iPhone. The convience and everything else involved with it are so awesome.

4. mets1125 macrumors regular

I would go with the iphone...Its so much easier to have 1 device. If you want a touch def get the iphone your gonna be happy you did

5. threezero macrumors 6502

here's the deal.

If you are looking upgrade both your phone and your ipod
    go for the iPhone

If you already have a solid phone ie BB Bold Nokia E71
    go for the itouch

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If you use the internet a lot and you get the iPod touch you will regret it, believe me (iPod touch owner here!) but if you dont just get the iPod touch, you will enjoy it just as much

7. gvegastiger macrumors regular

The iPod Touch was so awesome that I just wanted to use it all the time. Unfortunately, since I don't live in a wifi zone I couldn't use it for anything other than iPod functionality (this was pre-App store).

If you want an iPod get an iPod Touch. If you want a smart phone get the iPhone. Thats what you need to decide bc there is nothing quite as useless as having the best mobile browsing platform in your pocket sans a data connection.

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I posted this in another thread:

I'd get the 3G. It's really nice surfing at 1.5mb when not at home. Also, you can use Simplify to stream your music library from your home computer if you want.

Plus, it's easy to forget an iPod at home. Most people don't forget their phones too often, so you'll always have your music with you. :)

9. dominordelingua thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I'm definitely surprised by the unanimous decision here. I must admit I was leaning for the iPhone, it just seems more logical to get it when I'm going to get a new phone and iPod at the same time. So once I get my finances in order and my eligibility rolls around I will definitely be checking out the iPhone.

Thanks.

Oh another question: Right now I'm on a family plan with two regular phones. Is it possible to make the upgrade this way? with only one phone upgrading to a smart phone w/ data plan? and how much do you think it would cost? I already know about the $30 data charge.

Thanks again.

10. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Also don't forget that the iPhone monthly phone bill isn't exactly cheap. I pay about $95/month for Nationwide 450 w/rollover, 1500 text. It's the unlimited data that's the killer pricewise. I have the same plan as I did on my old Nokia except for the data and it's about $40 more per month. But if you can afford go for it. But also check out the new Blackberry just to make sure.

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

the deal breakers are

a) if you need a all in one device get the iphone.. the camera sucks, but it really does the internet, phone, ipod thing realllly well. I love being able to go to the gym with my wired headset on, and without removing my headphones, take an incoming call, hang up, and continue with my workout listening to music..... SEAMLESSLY

b) if you need internet/streaming music/GPS maps all the time you need the iPhone.. Programs like yellow pages for the iphone are exactly why its a kick ass device

you can look up a store and

click the number, and your iPhone starts calling the store
    click the address an your iPhone starts the map program, allowing you to get direction on the fly

If you don't need either of the two above ( the camera is pretty mediocre) then i think you will be happier with the more financially rationale choice of the iPod.

12. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Ummm, no.

Uh, no, not really. The camera doesn't suck at all, actually. It's very good for a 2MP camera. Amazingly good. It takes advantage of the whole screen, so you get so much in one shot. Some people are just mad that it wasn't a 5MP camera, so they have it stuck in their mind that it's a sucky camera. It's not.

Oh, and to the person above me, if you need a good camera, buy a digital camera.

13. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Actually after having played with the camera on the iPhone I was bothered by the lack of image stabilization, not the pixels. Its hard as crap to not get a blurry picture with the iPhone.

I've checked out the plans with AT&T and heres what I've found that works for me. Me and my wife will get a family plan with only one data charge bc she just wants a regular phone. I'll get a FAN discount through my work of about 15% (its actually better than what I get at Verizon) and I'll get a $25 giftcard in the mail to apply to my phone bill thanks to the thread in the main iPhone forum.

I'll get the cheapest phone plan (like at Verizon) bc I don't talk a ton on my cellphone and its mostly to my wife who will be on AT&T and I'm going to use it sparingly the first few months so I can rack up some rollover minutes. I'm also going to get the smallest number of text messages bc I dont text a lot and its what I have now with Verizon. All in all its going to run me around $91 a month. Thats about $10 more than Verizon but I dont have data with Verizon now.