Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravinja

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017
Only buy buy it now if you can get it really cheap. Otherwise September is only 2 months away!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Since Apple does not depreciate prices after release (even though you will have a smaller window of support from Apple as time passes) - it makes sense to wait.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
This might be the first year ever that the next OS release, iOS 12, will be an improvement over the previous version in regards to speed and bugs than the previous OS. Normally my recommendation would be to buy a new iPhone in August or early September just before the next model becomes available. Yes, you'll be one year behind in technology, but you'll get the best version of the current OS installed right off the bat instead of beta testing crap buggy software for a year on a new phone with endless time wasting bug ridden updates.

So this year only, probably ever, it might be ok to buy a new iPhone on launch day with iOS 12 installed. But in the future I wouldn't do that unless you know for sure that the new OS will be a quick and stable one (rare).

Reactions: apolloa

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The title of the topic says it all :D

Kind regards

Manas

There is no rocket science involved and the rumours are well known at this time of year.

Buy what you can enjoy - when you personally want.
If you continue to feel that strangers should give their opinion, maybe don’t purchase anything until you know what you want.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The title of the topic says it all :D

Kind regards

Manas

Definitely not enough information for anyone really to offer you substantial advice based off nothing in your post.

For example you could Elaborate on the following~ Why would you want to wait? What phone are you using now that you want upgrade from? What specifically do you like about the iPhone X? Does the new 6.1 LCD or 6.5 interest you? Price point considerations? Storage requirements? Those are *All* things you could specifically touch upon that would give you more feedback specifically from others.

Reactions: nviz22

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Depends on what type of consumer you are. If you’re the type who only buys a phone when your existing one is at the end of its life and you intend to keep the replacement for three years AND you don’t mind the price tag, go ahead.

But this year more than any previous year, it makes sense to wait. There’s considerable speculation that the refreshed version of the X will be cheaper.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Definitely wait. My buddy asked me the same question the other day since his iPhone 6 is almost 4 years old. I told him a $29 battery replacement might hold him over until September, but he is not quite at 80%.

Either you can get the 2017 X cheaper, pick up a revised X 2018 model, or get the LCD model. Either way, you're getting more bang for your buck since it's a cheaper older model on clearance or a latest and greatest in 2018.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Even if you wait until the release announcement in September, you still have to wait until the end of November before you can get one of the new phones.

I don’t think we know that - unless I’ve missed something.

Personally, I don’t think the iPhone X releasing in November - mid quarter - last year was a deliberate decision, more a result of insufficient supply vs expected demand in September.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Once the new models come out in a few months, what do you think a used current 64gb iPhone X will be going for? $500-$600?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I love my iphone X,but with that being said I wold totally wait. Unless you desperately need a phone. And in that case I would buy the cheapest iphone one could find to hold me over.

I have the 6S Plus and it’s been the absolute best iphone I’ve had - going back to the 3G. But I am in the market for a new phone in the fall. I know I really need to wait to understand my real options. At this point I am considering the X type model.

So with that in mind - you said you love your X. Did you come from the regular or Plus sized phone? And what do you love about the X? I know it’s all personal as far as likes and dislikes but would be interested in hearing what your opinion is.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I certainly woundnt pay full price of iPhone X. If you can get it for $200-300 gift cards I would do it.

But don’t pay full price for any phone if you are on post paid plans in the USA.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I have the 6S Plus and it’s been the absolute best iphone I’ve had - going back to the 3G. But I am in the market for a new phone in the fall. I know I really need to wait to understand my real options. At this point I am considering the X type model.

So with that in mind - you said you love your X. Did you come from the regular or Plus sized phone? And what do you love about the X? I know it’s all personal as far as likes and dislikes but would be interested in hearing what your opinion is.

I came from a launch day 6 plus which I owned 3 years. Bought the iPhone X on day one as well.

I really thought I would miss the plus sized iPhone. I loved my 6 plus so much I kept it 3 years.

I thought I would miss Touch ID as well. I couldn’t wrap my head around things like Apple Pay with Face ID lol.

Until I used the iPhone X. After an hour I fell in love with all the new gestures and no home button. Face ID for me is flawless.

I also don’t use cases and the iPhone X is just fun to hold. It’s truly a great size.

I have an iPad at home if I need a big iOS experience.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I came from a launch day 6 plus which I owned 3 years. Bought the iPhone X on day one as well.

I really thought I would miss the plus sized iPhone. I loved my 6 plus so much I kept it 3 years.

I thought I would miss Touch ID as well. I couldn’t wrap my head around things like Apple Pay with Face ID lol.

Until I used the iPhone X. After an hour I fell in love with all the new gestures and no home button. Face ID for me is flawless.

I also don’t use cases and the iPhone X is just fun to hold. It’s truly a great size.

I have an iPad at home if I need a big iOS experience.

This makes me feel excited for the new X type release in the fall. With the phone smaller but the actual screen size larger, I’m thinking it might be a better option than the Plus size. Can’t wait!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Once the new models come out in a few months, what do you think a used current 64gb iPhone X will be going for? $500-$600?

Nah I can see $600-$700 though. Well, GameStop sold the X used for $750 at one point. Sealed could hit $700 at some point and that helps lower the prices for used.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Nah I can see $600-$700 though. Well, GameStop sold the X used for $750 at one point. Sealed could hit $700 at some point and that helps lower the prices for used.

I think by the time the new iPhones are announced I would say the 256-X will in the 700.00 range used so the 64 will probably be around 600, looking at what iPhone-X's sell for now used.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This makes me feel excited for the new X type release in the fall. With the phone smaller but the actual screen size larger, I’m thinking it might be a better option than the Plus size. Can’t wait!
I’m along the same lines. Really sick of the sheer heft of the Plus models now so want something smaller without too much screen sacrifice. Am I alone in thinking the X Plus is going to be complete overkill in terms of screen size?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.