Should I Buy it yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ssindi, May 7, 2009.

1. ssindi macrumors newbie

ok, 128GB of storage is not enough for me. 256GB would be nice, although this would not be my primary computer but since they are (about to?) make 256GB SSDs that can fit into an Air, I'm willing to wait.

A few issues however, how long does Apple usually keep its models? I don't care about speed bumps or other minor changes, but I would hate to be stuck with an old looking MacBook Air. Since the Air was originally released around Q1 2008, how long would they normally keep it before refreshing it?

I realize according to the site, it still has 2 months average before seeing an update, but how soon after they update it would they change it completely?

Thanks!

2. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

I'm sure future revisions of the MBA will offer 256gb SSD's. I'm not sure it would ever be practical to upgrade a revB - because its likely Apple will be the only source of drives that will fit/work and if they are offered as revB upgrade components at all they will likely be cost prohibitive (as revA owners observed, better to sell the revA and buy a revB).

Mac's tend to have longer release cycles, longer model life, and longer service life than most of its competitors. Better design, Better Integration, and Better Support make for longer cycles. But they result in a better user experience. Most Mac models have been very long lived, with upgrade cycles being about a year apart and major revisions several years apart for a given model.

I'm looking forward to a future MBA with 4gb of RAM and a 256GB SSD as well.