Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airjuggernaut, May 10, 2009.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I recently came across an ad for a 800mhz 12" iBook G4.

The guy is selling it for $128 (CDN) and it comes with the charger and everything.

It seems like a good deal, and the guy seems legit.

The only thing is, I feel like I'm buying this completely out of impulse.

I already have a Unibody MBP.

The only use I could see for this is when I go into Grade 12 next year, I could sometimes bring the iBook G4 along for some small Programming (Java) and writing (Office or iWork) during my Spares.

Do you think I should buy it?

or

Should I just wait until I ACTUALLY need it?

What do you guys think?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The decision is totally down to you, can you afford it? Or should you save your money? Maybe a new apple product will come out at WWDC which that $128 may come in handy.

Can you afford not to have it? If the answer is yes then don't buy it.

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Every time I bought something that I was doubtful I needed I have always regretted buying it later - either ended up giving it away or throwing it away.

That said, if you really think you will make use of it $128 doesn't seem that big of a deal. See if you can think of a person who can make use of it in case you end up not needing it - that way you have a plan B.

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I agree with the others. If you can afford to have it and feel you can get use out of it. Buy it.

If you later find you don't use it, you can sell it on.

I brought a Dual 1.25Ghz G4 with an ACD for £250. It's great, but I do prefer to use my Macbook most the time. I have a future use for it (DV storage), but.. at that price I couldn't say no!

5. dbwie macrumors 6502

nah

According to your signature, you already have a MBP and an iMac. I say don't bother with a third Mac that is only redundant, and less capable, than what you already have. Spend the money on some good software for what you currently have.

I suppose that by posting the question, you already have some doubt.

6. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm still really torn.

I feel like I won't find a deal like this ever again.

Oh, and the iMac in my signature is actually now my parents :p

I don't know, I'll think about it for one more day, and let's see what my mind conjures then.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think what will happen is this:

-You'll buy it and take it home.
    -Turn it on, remind yourself of how slow a G4 actually is compared to an Intel.
    -Use it sporadically for ~2-4 days.
    -Put it away when you realize how slow and useless it is.

8. MVApple macrumors 6502a

If you want this because you don't want to take your nice unibody to school all the time then I say it can be a good investment. It can also be a backup machine in the rare event that the unibody experiences some hardware problem that needs to be fixed. I don't know what kind of school you go to, but I would be a lot less worried about someone stealing a $128 ibook than a $2000 macbook pro. Just remember to keep in mind the limitations of the system, but it seems you have as you stated you will be doing light programing and word processing stuff.

9. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

While you are thinking about it, you might want to read a few of the threads at MR about deals that "seemed legit", like this one:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=691806

to remind yourself that there can be real drawbacks to deals that seem too good to be true ...;)