should I buy iwork '08 or will there be an iwork '09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DoNoHarm, Nov 2, 2008.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hey people,

Is there any talk of an update of iwork '08 during Macworld '09? I am a switcher to Mac as of last month and I really like pages instead of word. I've been using a trial version and I'm going to buy it, but I was wondering if I should stick it out by using google docs in the event that they release iwork '09.

By the way, in case any admins are reading this post, why don't they include Apple software in the Buyers Guide?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's a tough call. I would suspect there'd be an update this January, but I could easily be wrong.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There might be an update. Just buy it if you feel it suits your needs.

4. robbyyy macrumors newbie

Usualy Apple released new versions of iLife and iWork each year at the MacWorld Expo. Except the '08 versions, which were released in August 2007. That's more then a year ago. I think it is very likly that Apple will go back to the MacWorld release cycle and we will see new versions in January.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

There was no iWork 07. I sincerely hope there's an 09, because there's lots to fix in 08, especially in Numbers.

6. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

While I haven't experienced any bugs with my trial version, it really doesn't befit the company that makes Leopard to have an office suite that is merely on par, give or take, with a company that makes poor products like Vista.

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Apple is focussing on consumer products. I'm not sure if iwork will ever develop into a professional office software. Keynote is already great but Numbers if not even close to Excel. And even excel lacks a lot of features in charts.

Unless there is reason to believe that apple is committed to iwork i wouldn't create all my documents with it.

If it gets abandoned like Apple Works then you might have to convert all your documents back to MS Office.

Apple unfortunately is good in inventing stuff only but is not very good in developing them for many years.

8. w00dfire macrumors newbie

iwork '09

I'm a Mac newbie and have been using iwork '09 for the past 6 weeks... Unfortunately, I've just given up with it, as both Pages and Numbers don't cut it!

So, what now? Fortunately, I've used OpenOffice on Linux and luckily it's available FREE on Mac too! - Whilst it's not 100% MSOffice it's way more capable than iwork '09. So, in the interest of people not wasting their hard earned cash, give OpenOffice a shot first!

9. MTI macrumors 65816

um . . . Sun's Open Office has been free, on any platform, since day one.
    For true freedom, it's hard to beat Google's cloud software that does words and numbers.

What walls did you hit in iWork?

For those that needed a retail version of Leopard, the bundle with iLife and iWork was a tasty deal.