Should I buy Mac Mini Now?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Jazper, Jun 18, 2012.

  1. Jazper macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    #1
    Hey,

    I've found a great deal, I can get a Mac Mini, 2.5Ghz for £575 and upgrade the ram for £40, now that's pretty much my budget so shall I go ahead and buy it now or wait for the new ones? I know they will be more expensive but then I might have a little bit more cash.

    I mainly use it for light photoshop, general browsing web, microsoft office, itunes, some gaming - Diablo 3 and Minecraft...

    That should be fine, right? Also planning to upgrade HD to SDD in future.
     
  2. Unfair macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    #2
    I'm debating getting a 2011 Mini right now as well. But I'm crazily thinking of replacing my 2009 Mac Pro w/ a Mini for my web development work and building a separate PC for gaming.

    For years I've done everything off the one system, but the lack of upgraded Mac Pro compatible video cards in this latest 'refresh' has kind of put me thinking a different direction for my computing needs.

    My thoughts are as long as you get the Mini w/ with the AMD Radeon HD 6630M in it, you should be perfectly fine! And when you toss an SSD in there, it should be a mini-beast of a machine!
     
  3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
  4. Pheo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    #4
    Are you the kind of person who will be annoyed if a refresh comes through in a month?
     
  5. Jazper thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    #5
    I doubt I'll be able to to afford a refresh, saying I'm getting it for £575 compared to what Apple are selling it at £699! And I've had my old iMac 2006 since... so I think I'll be fine ;P
     
  6. hashholly macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2008
    #6
    If thats all you can afford I say go for it, its a really nice machine.
     
  7. Ifti macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    If you are sure that's all you can afford then go for it. If there is a slight chance you can save a bit more, then wait. The new components are already out, so it's just a matter of putting them into the mini.
    I for one, am waiting for the refresh and I'll purchase my new server straight away ;)
     
  8. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #8
    If you need it buy now, I guess with technology there's always something newer/better/cooler/faster around the corner.

    It's up to you though, would you regret it if the new model came out soon?
     
  9. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Location:
    Chandler, Arizona
    #9
    I would consider the Mini a safe buy at almost any time (i.e. don't buy it when it looks like you're a week or two out from a refresh but other than that...) because it loses the least value on a refresh. You can always rebuy an updated model and you only take a modest haircut if you resell the one you have afterward. I think of it as paying a rental fee.
     
  10. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

    tmanto02

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2011
    Location:
    Australia
    #10
    I would definitely wait!! You're so close mate. I would get insane buyers remorse if I bought one now. Use the next month to same your pennies and get the new one!
     
  11. Jazper thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    #11
    I actually found one with 8GB of Ram and 120GB SSD pre-installed for £100 extra, I think I might swing for that... I have 2x 500gb external HD's and an old 160gb HD that I might put in a dock or enclosure...

    How does that sound? :)
     
  12. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2008
    Location:
    iLondon/iDurban
    #12
    Like you've already made the decision.
     
  13. FrozenShivers macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
  14. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
  15. gigaguy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    #15
    Confused. wait for what? ALL the hardware announcements came out last week. no mention of Mini.
     
  16. AdrianK macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2011
    #16
    Yeah guys, Apple are done for the year ;)

    It makes no sense to release everything at once and dilute the retina MBP hype. iMacs and minis will likely be updated on the site one day, just like the 2010 mini was.
     
  17. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Location:
    Chandler, Arizona
    #17
    Actually that's a great deal, if you just ignore the whole refresh equation and look at what you're getting for your dollar, that seems worth it.
     
  18. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

    Davy.Shalom

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2008
    #18
    I hate how Apple is transitioning to no optical drives because they view it as obsolete! I love ripping dvd's and converting them. Maybe I'm a minority...

    Anyway, if that is in your budget and you think that specific computer will last you for a minimum of 3-5 years based on your needs, go for it.
     
  19. marcelmfa macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2012
    Location:
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    #19
    I think majority of users doesnt use media discs anymore, they use at majority cases USB and now Thunderbolt. Why you dont use a external optical drive?
     
  20. SR45 macrumors 65832

    SR45

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #20
    Apple does not release all hardware at once. This has been shown before. MacMini will be released later this year. ;)
     
  21. Jonx macrumors 6502

    Jonx

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2004
    #21
    I would say save your money and wait for the new hardware announcement. Don't give in to the temptation and throw your hard earned money to a year old hardware. RAM is cheap you can get 8GB for like £25-30.
    And once the new mac mini released old one's prices go down a bit as well. if you can;t afford or dont like the choices you can always buy the old ones.

    I'm on the market for new Mac(mini) as well, so I know the feeling. Don't give in and wait it up. Plus you will get free OSX 10.8 ML :p
     
  22. Jazper thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    #22
    I'm thinking about just buying a new Macbook Pro 13", my budget went up and I like the portability :p
     
  23. Jonx macrumors 6502

    Jonx

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2004
  24. Flatsfisher macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    #24
    I received my base mac mini yesterday. Couldn't be happier. I am coming from a 13 mbp as well. ;)
     
  25. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2011
    #25
    Buy an external Blu-Ray drive. The Mac Mini is basically useless as an HTPC without Blu-Ray anyway.
     

Share This Page