Should I buy Macbook Air now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by a080250, Nov 17, 2011.

1. a080250 macrumors newbie

I am considering buying a Macbook Air. But I wonder if I should wait for the update because MBA is approaching its mid-product cycle. Also, Ivy Bridge seems to be very attractive as it provides better GPU. Any suggestions? Should I buy it immediately or wait until next update?

2. simsaladimbamba

If you can wait until at least April, then wait.
    Or buy now, and if the new MBAs come out and your MBA doesn't suffice your computational needs, sell it, as it shouldn't depreciate that much.

3. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I originally was waiting for the current generation to turn up in the UK Refurb store.

But because 1, my first choice machine to use is the 27" iMac I've put in my bedroom, and 2, finances are tighter than anticipated, and 3, I've inadvertently become a student [with student discount status until October next year], I'm going to hold off until the Ivy Bridge machine with the superior graphics comes out next year.

For you, depends on your current needs, circumstances, and equipment. :)

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Basically, it depends on what your needs are. If you actually need what the MBA has to offer, buy it now, and, as simsaladimbamba has already pointed out, you can always sell it if something much more desirable and powerful is offered next year.

However, if you simply want it, I'd suggest that you wait until the suggested updates have had an opportunity to have their early glitches ironed out, which could be a month or two after the updates are issued.

As the owner of a MBA, I will say that it is an excellent product, and I found myself using my MBP less and less once I got the MBA. In fact, it is now my sole computer.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

5. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I use my MBA as my sole computer as well. If you need it now/want it now, get it now. Otherwise wait. I don't think you will be disappointed if you get the current MBA.

6. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Ditto.