Should I buy Macbook Air now?

a080250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
I am considering buying a Macbook Air. But I wonder if I should wait for the update because MBA is approaching its mid-product cycle. Also, Ivy Bridge seems to be very attractive as it provides better GPU. Any suggestions? Should I buy it immediately or wait until next update?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you can wait until at least April, then wait.
Or buy now, and if the new MBAs come out and your MBA doesn't suffice your computational needs, sell it, as it shouldn't depreciate that much.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
I originally was waiting for the current generation to turn up in the UK Refurb store.

But because 1, my first choice machine to use is the 27" iMac I've put in my bedroom, and 2, finances are tighter than anticipated, and 3, I've inadvertently become a student [with student discount status until October next year], I'm going to hold off until the Ivy Bridge machine with the superior graphics comes out next year.

For you, depends on your current needs, circumstances, and equipment. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Basically, it depends on what your needs are. If you actually need what the MBA has to offer, buy it now, and, as simsaladimbamba has already pointed out, you can always sell it if something much more desirable and powerful is offered next year.

However, if you simply want it, I'd suggest that you wait until the suggested updates have had an opportunity to have their early glitches ironed out, which could be a month or two after the updates are issued.

As the owner of a MBA, I will say that it is an excellent product, and I found myself using my MBP less and less once I got the MBA. In fact, it is now my sole computer.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jul 1, 2007
Indiana
I use my MBA as my sole computer as well. If you need it now/want it now, get it now. Otherwise wait. I don't think you will be disappointed if you get the current MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.