Should I buy Macbook Pro 13 tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anthony10292, May 15, 2010.

1. anthony10292 macrumors newbie

I really want to buy my first mac tomorrow. But someone told me of a summer sale. I have an iPhone 3GS and will be purchasing the new iphone in June. Should I wait until june for the "free" ipod touch or should I go ahead an make my way to my local Apple store? Do I really need an iPod Touch and an iPhone?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you think you need an iPod Touch and an iPhone?
    Especially when the iPod Touch gets an update in September?

You can still get an education discount tomorrow. And the mantra still applies:
    If you need it now, buy now. If you can wait, wait.

3. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

i bought mine a week ago. didn't wanna wait till june

4. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

Now is the hottest time to buy New MBP 13" and I love it.
    Wait little longer, then you might regret when newer model comes 3 month later or something.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes but do yourself a favor and buy from Amazon, at least you will save more money that way.

6. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

personally I bout a sealed 17" MBP of an ebay powerseller, I saved like $300 from not buying through apple (taxes are not cool). Even If I sold the free ipod, I would not saved nearly as much. I have no interest in using an iPod (getting the new iphone). I guess it all depends on how much you want the ipod, or don't want to buy from a third party.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

There are only two reasons to wait for the iPod deal:

1. You really need a want/new iPod
    2. You plan on selling the iPod on Craigslist/eBay immediately

Anything else and you're probably better off saving money by buying now from Amazon/eBay or refurb from Apple.

8. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Why would you want an iPod Touch and an iPhone? That is a really dumb idea (no offense) because you would have apps on one that aren't on the other. Buy it now or wait and give the iPod Touch to someone like your mom or something like that.

Remember that you have to be a college student to get the free iPod Touch!

I assume that you aren't so just buy now

9. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

To sell/give away. Always get the freebies if you can IMO. I however wouldn't wait.

10. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 'back to school' special (free ipod/touch) is not in June.

11. Link2999 macrumors 6502

It's usually in June, but started in May last year. (Trends show it starts a little earlier each year) I can also remember a post maybe 3 or so days ago saying that an Apple employee said that the sale would start in 3 weeks (roughly early June).

12. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Isn't the free touch the 8GB model? So last years hardware anyway. Around here they don't sell for crap, and they are noticeably slower than the updated 32GB and 64GB.

13. machiabelly macrumors newbie

I bring my Touch when I travel internationally since I won't have 3G service anyway and it is lighter and has better battery life vs. iPhone.

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't know why there are people telling you just to buy now. If you wait a little over two weeks you'll be getting something for almost nothing, an iPod for only the tax on it. Who cares if it's not a high-end model and if they're being updated soon? It's something that you won't get if you buy right now!

15. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Wait wait wait

What he said. Stupid not to wait two weeks for a $200 freebie. Keep it as a spare, give it away, sell it.

16. lordofuo macrumors regular

:confused:

That makes no sense.

17. mattnotis macrumors regular

Basically, if he buys it now, it'll be the best for a longer period of time. If he waits, it's only the best for a few months and then the upgraded model comes out.

18. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

...because the two-week wait will somehow spoil the "newness" of his MacBook Pro? Utterly ridiculous. :rolleyes:

19. bjewett macrumors member

MB Pro, or upcoming macbook?

I'm looking at the 13" MBP too but -

The "rumored" (worth just that much) upcoming Macbook refresh may have the same processor, graphics, etc, for less money. If you don't need the SD slot, FW800 etc ... you may be able to buy a macbook that does 90% of what you want, for less money. For me, no contest: must have FW800 and want the longer battery life. But consider waiting a bit to see if the MB will have most of what the base MBP current has (in which case I don't see why apple doesn't bump the MBP base more, to distinguish it from the MB).

20. katyoshi macrumors 6502

I second that. If you plan to keep playing hard core games on it, plan on eventually investing in a PS3. The reason is, when new games come out, they usually require higher graphics and more advanced technology, whereas the PS3, the system is pretty set with oncoming games having to abide by the specifications of the PS3. With computer games, the computer has to meet the specs of the game. I talk about games now because there is a lot of people who are wondering about playing games on a mac. Computer games really do get expensive because of the advance in technology that sometimes require upgrade in hardware.

The new macbook pro 13 inch that just came out are outstanding. Though I recently returned my purchase last week, I returned it because of personal reasons. Now I'm looking back on it and I'm going to get it when the BTS promotion comes out. Reason for this is for the free iPod Touch which I could use for my clinical rotations as a grad student. I could however, use my iPad, but if I am able to get $200 back from Apple and a "free" iPod touch, then that would be splendid. I wouldn't really say "free" I would say "free of charge". It's a technical term. O well, I thought about it and returned the macbook pro 13 with the printer. This time, when the BTS promotion comes out, I am going to get a LED Apple Cinema display 24" and hopefully they'll have the 27" by then as rumors say so I can still use my student discount.

21. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would say wait, and give the iPod to your mom or someone who would have use for it. No sense in passing on a free $200. And for whoever said that it would make it seem less new, an update (which won't happen until, say october, probably later, which is outside of the window for back to school) wouldn't give you noticeable difference. Plus technology is outdated the second you buy it anyhow. I got the aluminum MacBook about two weeks or so before the 13" MBP came out and I still absolutely love it, and wouldn't trade it in even if I could. Buy your MBP, get your iPod and enjoy :)

22. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

so now you do get a ipod touch with a macbook pro?
    I am a student as well

23. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

You have an iPhone , you don't need an iTouch in my opinion. Get the macbook!

24. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

lol yes, I believe it was the old model. At least if it was 64 GB 3rd gen....