Should i buy Macbook pro 2.2 tomorrow?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Babba, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. Babba macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #1
    Well i'm a pc user for a loong time and i've a good setup at home. I'm kinda bored..What i want to do is to switch to mac..I'm a graphics designer( both 2d and 3d) And planning to sell my PC..
    Will mbp 2.2 will be enough for my needs...and i want to connect it to my 23" display..When i do that, screen quality will be same right..
    Am i gonna be happy :p ?

    ps : i don't care about the new mac pro(update) and all..
     
  2. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

    GroundLoop

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2003
    #2
    No. Should wait until next Tuesday at least.

    Hickman
     
  3. anirban macrumors 6502a

    anirban

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #3

    Yes the 2.2GHz should be enough for your needs, although you may want to opt for the 256MB video RAM. Also, I suggest getting extra RAM, but not from Apple.


    You can connect the MBP to your 23" display without any loss in quality.



    With all that said, if you can wait, just wait a while and see what Apple comes out with.
     
  4. Babba thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #4
    Will you explain why?


     
  5. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #5
    I think if you're not desperate, wait a little while for an update. The latest guesses right now are mid-march.
     
  6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2007
    #6
    If you need it, get it. You won't regret it even if something new does come out. Don't play the waiting game for nothing, you'll only kick yourself more in the end.
     
  7. petvas macrumors 601

    petvas

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    Location:
    Mannheim, Germany
    #7
    I say go and buy it and dont worry about updates. It's inevitable, someday the MBP will be updated. If you like the current model and suits your needs then buy!
     
  8. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

    GroundLoop

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2003
    #8
    Even though you said that you don't care about the pending update, you should.

    There will likely (not guaranteed) be a better GPU in the updated MBP. If you really do heavy graphics work, it may come in handy. It depends on what applications you use the most.

    Also, you will get a faster computer at the same price point as the new line will almost definitely be 2.4GHz, 2.6GHz, and an optional 2.8GHz.

    With everything pointing to next week as the release date for the updates, it won't hurt to wait 6 days.

    If your current machine had dies, I would likely be singing another tune, but this appears to be more desire than need at the moment.

    Hickman
     
  9. anirban macrumors 6502a

    anirban

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #9



    He is talking about the Mac Pro update, no the MBP one.
     
  10. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

    GroundLoop

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2003
    #10
    Can you tell me where you can find a 2.2GHz Mac Pro then?

    The title says MacBook Pro and it is in the MacBook(Pro) forum.

    I think you need to re-read the original post.

    Hickman
     
  11. Babba thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #11
    I was talking about MBP :p not Mac Pro. Sorry my mistake

     
  12. bollweevil macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    #12
    I might recommend that you buy now. Two reasons:

    First, I am only continuing to wait because I have been waiting since November. If I buy now, all that self-deprivation will have been for nothing. If I could erase those months of waiting, I might buy right now. As it is, I would feel silly if I gave up waiting.

    Second, consider what happens two years from now - both computers will be obsolete. The newer model might be 15% faster, but the older model might have a better, more proven design. What if the new model has some design flaw? You know that the current model is solid.

    Also, maybe this is a good time to buy refurbished, or from eBay. People may be dumping perfectly good computers on eBay in expectation of the update, which might not come for over a month.
     
  13. anirban macrumors 6502a

    anirban

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #13



    The original post said Mac Pro, I read it correctly. But now we know its a typo, sorry about that.
     
  14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #14
    If you need it, buy it. A year from now, it's not going to matter whether you went with one dual core laptop over another.
     
  15. Stella macrumors 604

    Stella

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    Location:
    Canada
    #15
    If you absolutely need it now, buy one.

    If you don't, wait. OSX 10.5.2 had the IDs for the New MBP machines so that pretty much guarantees any revision won't be seen before OSX 10.5.2 is released. The revision will probably be minimal - new processor of course, plus maybe multi-touch.

    Also, if your outside the states, Apple may adjust the prices according to exchange rates like they have done for all recent releases, i.e., Mac OSX10.5, Air, Mac Pro et al.

    If you buy a MBP now and Apple release in the next few weeks you can always return the MBP, I believe.
     
  16. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2002
    Location:
    Surrey, UK
    #16
    As we didn't get a MBP update yesterday, are we all assuming that it won't be coming next week then, and and will be a few weeks away, rather than imminent?

    I got my MBP last week, but as it has a few minor issues, I was going to return it and just wait a week (or two max.) for the new Penryn one.

    But, it looks like people are now assuming it won't be as immediate as once thought?
     

Share This Page