Should I buy macbook pro now or wait???? Help please!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigcho92, Aug 10, 2010.

1. bigcho92 macrumors newbie

Hi I have been agonizing about this problem for several weeks now so I would like some honest and professional answers.

I am starting college this fall and I am in great need for new laptop. I am currently using 17inch Macbook pro (2006) version which is very old and recently letting me down in battery life even though I have recently got a new battery. Ultimately, I want to get a new macbook pro 13inch since, I will be carrying around my mac around campus. But I know that the current design of the macbook pros has been out for more than two years and I do not want to a new macbook pro and see a new design come out around this Christmas time.

So when do you guys think apple will release macbook pros with new design??????????

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Buy now, as the MBPs have just been upgraded in April and the next update is expected in early 2011.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

The last Aluminium design was with us since January 2003, thus one can expect the Unibody design to stay with us for three to five years.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

In a perfect world, the latest model would ship just when you need it. Life doesn't usually work that way though, so, given your circumstances, I'd go ahead and buy now. A 17" isn't something you want to schelp around even for a few months.

There will be a speed bump either this fall or winter, I'm sure, but I doubt we'll see a complete overhaul. The current unibody is going to be around a bit longer.

4. DannoTheManno macrumors newbie

By speed bump what do you mean? And is a speed bump going to be noticeable?

5. circularforward macrumors 6502

There might be a slight speed bump in CPU speed in the late fall or so. For instance, the i7 2.66 might go up to 2.8 and so forth.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Just buy it. The only time to absolutely not buy is if an update is around a month or so away, and you know you don't need it till then.

Don't hesitate getting something you need based on what may or may not be released in 3-6 months or more. Anything computer you buy will put you in the same position in about half a year where you could have gotten a little more for the same coin. But, you got X number of months usage out of it, and I think that in itself is worth something.

I have the current MacBook Pro 13" base model that came out in April. I love it.

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

8. iBmx macrumors newbie

Order 13" now. Call 1-800-MY-APPLE and order. Mention you are a student and you get an ipod touch 8GB free. Well, mail in rebate but its a great deal. Trust me!! =) lol

9. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

As others posted already , the next upgrade is somewhere in 2011 and you are in need of a new laptop right NOW . Id so go for the 13 inch.... just my 2 cents.