Should I buy Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rnimz, Dec 14, 2011.

  1. Rnimz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2011
    #1
    I am planning on buying a Macbook Pro for when I head off to college. Now I know all microsoft is on it like Word, Excel, etc.. is on it. I am wondering with regards to high end gaming like MMOs. Should I buy a Macbook pro now? Or just wait until the new one comes out? Also does anyone know when the new one is coming out?

    Thank you in advance for helping
     
  2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    #2
    If you need it now, get it. If you can wait till the spring for the 2012 models, then wait. Good luck!
     
  3. warvanov macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    #4
    When do you head off to college? If you can afford to wait and see what Apple offers up in the spring then you should wait and get one then.
     
  4. vitzr macrumors 68030

    vitzr

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Location:
    California
    #5
    This comment is unclear to me. If you are saying the computer comes with MS Office or the apps you listed, that's not true. They must be purchased separately.
     
  5. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #6
    Office 2011 for Mac is very similar to Office 2010 for Windows. You get the ribbon interface and whatnot. I believe it even has macro support now.

    As for buying one, I would assume you don't start until Fall 2012? If so I would wait for updates next year and take advantage of their summer student offers.
     
  6. ethics101 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2011
    #7
    I assume you're going to school next fall? If so, it'd be foolish to get one now. Wait. Next year you'll have the latest greatest + Apple's back to school perk.

    If you're going to be using the Microsoft Suite intensively, particularly Excel, your best bet is installing Windows. Same goes for games.
     
  7. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2011
    #8
    That is correct I will be attending college in fall of 2012. The only reason I am thinking of getting one now is because I have a MacBook pro from 2007 and it is starting to show its age.
     
  8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    Location:
    South FL
    #10
    Personally I would just buy a cheaper one off Craigslist, you can find plenty of late 09' (full aluminum) with better spec's then the 07' obviously for fairly cheap. Then just use that till next year and order a new Pro then with the student discount (b/c next year you'll have the brand new models that are debuting next year). Then just flip the used Pro on Craigslist again, you may even break even on it since there are a ton of Apple fanboys who have no idea on prices lol.
     
  9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #11
    lol so true.
     
  10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    #12
    Look at the games you're interested and see if they're compatible.

    If not, consider Bootcamp/Parallels/etc.

    It would help to include everything you're considering in your OP when you ask questions like this. Info such as your older Macbook Pro, etc. Even with all that info it's a call that you need to make. Do you think you can make it by until the new models are released?

    Don't overlook all the other "Should I buy now?" threads as well.
     
  11. VMMan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
  12. Menge macrumors 6502a

    Menge

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2008
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #14
    I'd wait.

    IMO, the current MacBook Pro gets too hot too easily. Wait until either the next iteration or the update to Ivy Bridge (which allows for programmable TurboBoost).
     
  13. Akack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    Location:
    USA
    #15
    Wait for the Ivy Bridge MBP during Q2-3 2012.
     
  14. SurferMan macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    Location:
    South FL
    #16
    Agree, next years models will be so much nicer/better. Like I said, grab a used one on CL right now, use it for a year, then buy the new gen MBP's coming out next year.
     
  15. akdj macrumors 65816

    akdj

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Location:
    Alaska
    #17
    That may be of embellishment, as they won't be "so much better"...if anything, anticipate a 10-15% speed increase with I/B. "It's a Tick, not a Tock" (quote directly from Intel)...Sandy Bridge was a major enhancement to the Core2Duo chip...and the 22nm process + the 3d transistor setup in I/B will be another achievement...however, MUCH that will come from that foundation is still a couple years down the road. I would suggest the "biggest" improvement to today's MBP line is the forthcoming integrated Intel 4000 Graphic Processor. As well, improvements in the 15/17" line of the existing "separate" GPUs (whether they be AMD or nVidia) will be the deciding factor in my purchasing decision. The OP...even with a late model (as suggested earlier in the thread) Core2Duo used model will notice an Extreme improvement in comparison with his/her 2007 MB.

    The current line of Sandy Bridge MBPs are easily the most significant improvement performance wise (over their predecessor) than any processor I can remember. The 13" of this year is keeping pace or slightly out-pacing last year's 15 and 17" original core "i" structures!!! Their as fast as last year's entry level iMacs! Their incredible little machines...as are the Airs.

    That said...we are a bit late in the life time of this batch of laptops...we're closer to a new one being introduced than this one's introduction last spring. However, I just wanted to make the point that buying now isn't going to yield a poor performing computer in comparison to what's coming down the pipe.

    I do like the idea of holding out...if you can. Obviously, you're not reliant on your machine for school...yet. So, if you can get by surfing, checking email and FB til they DO drop the I/B lineup...my suggestion at that point would be to (if past indicators are the same) save 15-20% on a refurb unit of the current model! Best of both worlds...save a couple hundred bucks and get a new, refurb from Apple with this year's performance. Coupled with the education discount, your savings could be even more significant.

    I understand impatience though...and the desire to have something faster and more sparkly:) If you have the cash now, want the computer and don't feel like holding out...pull the trigger! It's a Awesome package available right now!

    J
     
  16. SurferMan macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    Location:
    South FL
    #18
    Meant moreso how they may have complete redesign (i.e. the 13' loosing OD and being thinner etc) plus the updated chipsets etc. I'd rather get a used one now, and order the new gen next year.
     
  17. aCondor macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Location:
    United States
    #19
    The current version is excellent. Tried and true.

    But if I were you I would wait, because I'm crazy like that.
     
  18. hotgrease macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2010
    #20
    Wait to buy it shortly before going off to school. You're going to have an 8 month old computer when you start if you buy now. Do future you a favor and deal with your current computer for a few more months.
     
  19. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2011
    #21
    Yea I most likely will wait. It just sucks though I can't run things so well on my current mac. I also got Star wars the old Republic and can't play it due to the fact this Mac doesnt have the memory and my dell isnt meant for gaming. Not the biggest deal in the world, I am just not happy about it
     

Share This Page