Should I buy MB or MPB? Please help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by busterbluth, Oct 10, 2008.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

whats up everyone. Im about to buy my first mac, but am uncertain which to buy. Most of the time Im searching the internet, watching videos, and using powerpoint. Im not a graphic designer or anything like that. But I do like to convert DVD's into formats that can play on my iphone, and rip DVD's to my computer in general. I currently have a dell and it could not handle these tasks at all. Im worried that a MB might have the same problem. Anyone have any experience? Is the MBP overkill for mostly simple tasks and a few complex ones? Any help would be appreciated as Im sure this is the 10000 time this has been asked. Thanks! (I know we dont know what the new ones will have, but Im sure they wont be a major processor upgrade, atleast not till nahalem)

2. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

yes the MBP is an overkill for your needs.
    if you look at it side by side the base mbp and the mid-range mb have the same specs more or less minus the graphics card, which in your case doesn't matter.
    2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 5400rmp HDD standard.

the macbook should be able to handle all your tasks + more. it will be more portable and you can always hook it up to an external.

unless the MBP offers something drastic over a regular MB come tuesday, then i say get the MB.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the world of Mac, what ever you buy you'll enjoy. My first suggestion would be to wait for another few days. This forum is full of "buy now or wait?" threads, but this is one occasion where I would recommend you wait until next wek, in order to see what form the proposed updates/upgrades and/or new models take.
    In general, the MBP may be a bit much for your immediate needs, but after next week, you could well be able to obtain one of the soon-to-be-discontinued models at a very good discount, - including the superseded MBPs, should that be your preference.
    I have a MBP and must say that it is the best computer I have ever owned. However, the decision is yours, try both out in an Apple store, and go with what you feel most comfortable with.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do, cheers

4. G5power macrumors 6502

I second the idea of waiting until Tuesday.

Also you really need to consider what screen size you like. For example if the Macbook is only available in a 13 inch screen will you be happy with that.

Also if you are lugging the laptop around every day, will you get tired of the larger size and additional weight of a 15 or 17 inch laptop?

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

7. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, you've gave some good advice. I am aware of Tuesdays event, (Ive wanted a new computer for 6 months, so im pretty obsessed over it) You've answered my main question regarding the processing power of the MB, and it does seem adequate. I will admit, the screen size is a major issue. I really don't like small screens and I rarely travel with my computer. I will have to see the price differences and other features introduced on Tuesday. I just hope they are released soon after Tuesday. If he says new macbook available November, a part of me will die. Thanks!

8. Habusho macrumors 6502

Totally agree, a MBP is overkill for your needs. A MB would fill your needs completely. The CPUs in the MB and MBP are very similar so as far as cunching numbers or things like that, they'll be pretty even. It's only when you really need the built in graphics card abilities of the MBP that you should be looking at that machine.

9. yrael macrumors newbie

An external monitor would totally help with not having enough screen space. And considering the rumored price drop, the money that you save could buy a really nice 22" (not to mention the difference between a mbp and mb).

On another side note, buying a macbook is like getting money back for portability. If you ever wanted to just pick it up and go, you don't really have to think twice about it.