Should I buy MBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by koflok, Aug 14, 2009.

1. koflok macrumors newbie

Okay so i'm not gonna buy this right away.. I'll probably buy it next year.. when i got to college. but i like to research. :D

Since i'm gonna using MBP for a lot of gaming, can I play games like Crysis, COD, or even just Warcraft on OSX? Or must I login to windows?

And if i'm in windows, how much hour do i expect it will last?
    Also perfomance-wise will it drop while on Windows?

Another thing.. is GeForce 96GT performed well for gaming?

Asus N81Vp has similar spec with MBP, but it got ATi 4650. Having the same amount of weight, will it be as comfortable using MBP when lay back like this:
    [​IMG]
    Does the thickness matter? Is it gonna be not comfortable holding a 3.8cm thick laptop? There's like 1.5cm difference of thickness between the Asus one and MBP.

And if i wait,, should i just wait until the Arrandale comes out? :D

Oh yeah and also.. Is the student discount is available in Australia?

Thanks a lot :)

2. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

Go to an apple store and try to hold a 15" at that angle...then decide.. Some complain about loose hinge.. Mines ok.. I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't read it here...

Wait for arrandale since you have time...

I don't game on mine so I can't speak about that...

Is that you in the pic? I'd hate to have all the sunlight hitting me when I'm trying to sleep in late...

3. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Lying on bed holding the laptop like that will cause the lid to fall down as the 15" have the unique loose hinge 'feature'. It's a 'feature' because apple refuse to acknowledge it as a problem.

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

you can lay and type, I have done it with all my macs, all but the 17" that is

5. koflok thread starter macrumors newbie

Firstly it's not me on the picture. LOL
    I just happened to found a perfect picture to describe it.

Ah dammit.. the 'feature' just ruined my joy to get my hands on MBP :(

Yeah i will probably wait for arrandale. Any rumors regarding the price?

Unfortunately i can't really get that angle in an apple store. hahas.
    That's why i'm asking and comparing it with the one that of Asus N81Vp.

Again, how is the performance on windows? Does it slow down or something?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

My hinge is perfectly fine. I can tilt mine to around 45 degrees past vertical before it begins to close. Not ideal, but not unacceptable.

7. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Windows will run fantastic through boot camp full speed and then some, it will even run great through a parallels virtual machine (though not for games that are high performers)

I can run Battlefield 2 through Parallels fairly good. runs better in boot camp though.

8. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

They are stunning.:D

I don't know about your games if you did decide to get it within the year I would get it before snow leopard comes out as this might put up the price a bit and it's only $10 to upgrade from leopard.

9. koflok thread starter macrumors newbie

i will not buy in short period.. i will buy next year or so.. as soon as i get to college and got the student discount..
    probably at that time arrandale will have arrived.. awesome ! :)

okay then i have make up my mind..
    i wont be buying asus n81vp n use mac instead..
    the design is stunning and knowing that it would run finely on windows.. :D

just one more thing.. how bout the battery performance on windows? is it still over at least like 3-4 hours?

10. koflok thread starter macrumors newbie

*bump*

So.. the battery usage... how's the performance in windows?
    will it still be 'good' or just 'like another laptops'?

By the way, does thickness matter in laptop? I mean when you using it off the table? Or it's more of a weight thing?

Thanks.

11. nuncupatory macrumors member

I don't know about the unibodies, but my early 2008 MBP gets very hot on the bottom, so if you were to rest in on your lap like that you'd burn your legs pretty quickly. Hence, Apple refers to them as 'notebooks' and not 'laptops'.

You might want to ask people how hot the uMBPs get during heavy duty gaming. Or start wearing insulated pants.

12. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

13. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I subscribe to this as well

14. koflok thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the hotness won't matter. I'll only use it on that position for lightweight stuffs only like browsing or chatting.. For gaming and other heavy duty stuff i will probably do it while charging..

So far I'm loving Mac as well.. And 99.9% have decided to go for the MBP instead of the Asus N81 one,, but the 0.1% sometimes make me convinced to do further 'research' on such small and sometimes unimportant issues like thickness and how it affect comfort, battery on windows while gaming, and stuffs.

Still, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be one happy Mac user :p