Should I buy MBP/MB now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MXM, May 27, 2009.

  1. MXM macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #1
    The buyer's guide says "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" for both MB and MBP. Do you think I should wait now?
     
  2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

    smurfjammer

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Location:
    Auckland, New Zealand
    #2
    Wait until after WWDC (it's coming - 8 June) but if you buy now if you really need it.
     
  3. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Calif
  4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

    u49aa2

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Location:
    Between Heaven and Hell
    #4
    You playing a dangerous game my friend. This question has been asked almost every day for the last month, so don't take it personally if anybody is rude to you.

    However, as you are newbie, i will just advise you if you have a laptop now that is doing what you need, wait until after wwdc as they are rumors of possible laptops upgrade after it, only 2 weeks for the conference.
     
  5. MXM thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #5
    So the new version will soon be released after WWDC? I think I can wait for one month, but not any longer...

    I never followed this timing-thing when buying PC before, I wonder what could go wrong if I buy it too early (i.e. now). Also, do you think the upgrade will be significant? Does it come with a much higher price?
     
  6. MXM thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #6
    Yes, I'm newbie to Mac :) My decision all depends on how long it'll take them to release the new version after the conference and what changes they will make (hardware? OS? etc)
     
  7. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

    u49aa2

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Location:
    Between Heaven and Hell
    #7
    nothing will go wrong. No i don't think it will significant, likely small speed bump, or extra space. I don't think it will be much higher price. I am planning to buy a MBA, and just waiting for this conference before buying, so i am in the same boat as you.

    Edit: there is rumors of MBA 3G, but not for MB/MBP
     
  8. EX1127 macrumors 6502

    EX1127

    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #8
    I'd wait patience is good besides you wouldn't want to buy it now and then be like crap if i waited a couple of days i could of gotten this or that. Thats my take on it at least
     
  9. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

    Fizzoid

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    I think he meant the forum, as this question gets asked at least once a day.
     
  10. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

    smurfjammer

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Location:
    Auckland, New Zealand
    #10
    No one really knows for sure but it is getting time for a refresh.
     
  11. MXM thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #11
    well, both to Mac and the forum. :D
     
  12. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

    u49aa2

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Location:
    Between Heaven and Hell
    #12
    Exactly :cool:
     
  13. indiecraig macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    #13
    I would (and do) wait until an update then buy within the first couple of weeks. Updates are inevitable and generally follow a predictable release cycle. There are exceptions (Mac Mini), but the laptops have been updated pretty consistently for years. They are due for an update now, so if you buy now there will be a slightly better version out in a month or two, normally for the same price. People say "but that doesn't make your computer any slower", but when I am only buying a computer every 2 years, I would like to have the latest and greatest for more than just a month.

    Also, we will find out more about Snow Leopard, the next operating system, at WWDC. If you decide to wait for the release of that, you will save yourself $129.
     
  14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #14
    If you need it - buy it now, and sell later when updates/later models are issued. If you simply want it, then I'd advise that you wait until you know the outcome of WWDC, which will place you in a better - and informed - position to decide on what you really wish to do.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  15. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #15
    Best advice ;)

    Personally, I'll never buy a brand new Mac, I'm completely content with having the last generation, because when a new model comes out, everyone is dumping their old ones on eBay and you can usually strike a great price there! :D
     

Share This Page