Should i buy MBP now ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vvf3ng, May 6, 2012.

  1. vvf3ng macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2012

    Any advice ?
    Is there any rumors/news that new mbp will release soon ?

  2. jackc macrumors 65816


    Oct 19, 2003
  3. Fishrrman macrumors G5


    Feb 20, 2009
    "Any advice ?
    Is there any rumors/news that new mbp will release soon?"

    Although no one who's talking has concrete information, your best option might be "to wait a little longer" -- unless you absolutely MUST have something in your hands RIGHT NOW.

    New MacBooks are coming, and will be released by mid-summer, quite possibly sooner. They WILL arrive, but again, no one has an exact date.

    The new ones will be worth waiting for if you can hold out. The most significant improvement will be USB3.

    Again, if you can't wait, buy now. But keep in mind that if you DO buy now, in just a few more weeks you'll be saying to yourself, "I wish I could have waited just a little longer!"
  4. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    Well if the update is amazing and makes my Macbook Pro look obsolete, I can always sell it and upgrade to the latest and greatest if need be.

    And another thing, once this update is out; everyone will be on about Haswell. Then after that the next processor after that.
  5. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

    Epic Xbox Revie

    Jun 15, 2010
    Washington, D.C.
    He's not saying to wait forever, you really would never have a laptop if you waited for every next release... But since it is almost here and the current gen is at the end of its cycle, there's not much reason to not wait for the new one. Unless like he said, you HAVE to have a laptop NOW. In which case, there's nothing wrong with the current gen.
  6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Feb 28, 2011
    If you need it, buy it, if you can wait, wait. While you're waiting you can search for the 1,243,245 other posts asking the same question :)


    But even that's an unknown. Yes, the chipset supports it, but remains to be seen if it will be implemented. As to whether they're worth waiting for, no one really knows.
  7. A7ibaba macrumors regular


    Apr 19, 2012
    I think the main question u should ask yourself instead "Should i buy MBP now" to "What i will get with new MBP". Well,certanly u will get Ivy Bridge procesor.Is it worth waiting over Sandy Bridge ?Not really.

    Reviews and benchmarks show almost no improvement.Ofc this is not related to HD3000 vs HD4000 but still that integrated GPU is really uselless to anything,no matter what use is.Discrete GPU will get u 15-20% improvement and lower TDP vs previous generation 6950 or 6970,but really not that dramatic.

    All rest are just rumors.
    USB 3.0 (maybe),and higher resolution (maybe),new design,optical drive is history,and probably thiner body (1,1.5mm) (maybe).

    SSD will be optional to install on apple store modification (i really think that ssd will be onboard),and u will lose option to install third party HDD or SSD.
    Battery will be bigger.
  8. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 22, 2011
  9. shareef777 macrumors 68020


    Jul 26, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've been waiting for about a month now. Stuck on a crummy T420 that I upgraded to a SSD and 8GB of memory and still takes 3min to boot. It also gets a BSOD every few days (most of the time while sitting idle and doing nothing). It'll make the upgrade (when they're finally released) all the more sweeter.
  10. dacoolest macrumors regular

    Nov 11, 2011
  11. pacman7331, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

    pacman7331 macrumors regular


    Apr 5, 2006
    Is there any reason you cannot wait a month or two?

    Computer's are like drugs, you can get addicted but you don't actually need them.

    I've been waiting for new MBP since January. Now every day I come to this site to see if any news on new MBP.

    I think buying now would be an acute mistake because:

    Ivy Bridge,
    Retina Display,
    Total Redesign,
    Better GPU
    Removal of optical drive opens up possibilities
    Perhaps a better heat management on new MBPs

    May even be able to levitate!
    Lol jk.

    Right now the MBPs don't look too pleasing to me, I think unibody's are ugly, I hate the glass trackpad, and they get too hot. Unless Apple releases a Retina Display with the new ones (which looks very likely) I don't think i'll want a new one. I've had two so far. 2006 and 2009. Neither of them deal with heat very well, and after three years a MBP is pretty much obsolete in terms of latest gaming abilities, all while pretty much lagging behind the best in the meanwhile.

    Duel booting is the most pragmatic thing Apple ever came up with.
    But Hackintosh offers alternatives to that. So unless Apple really presses on with the innovation. MBPs in my opinion are a bore and a waste.

    So i'm waiting it out. Plus i'd like to see if Tim Cook can keep things going, or even improve on things.
  12. underblu, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

    underblu macrumors regular

    Apr 19, 2010
    If you can wait Wait. But I can guarantee you the new MBP will not make the previous gen MBP obsolete.

    The current 17" and 15" MBP's have discrete graphics and quad-core chips yielding a very powerful machine for some time to come. The new MBP with the ivy bridge processors and improved discrete graphics will likely yield a 10% to 20% performance increase over the former gen and possibly slightly better battery life

    The 13" MBP is where the next gen may have more of a performance impact as the integrated onboard graphics with ivy bridge is supposed to be significantly more powerful. It will also be interesting to see if these new ivy bridge chips allow for a quadcore 13" MBP. Furthermore, it is likely the MBP will get a resolution bump which the 13" can certainly benefit from.

    Other items:

    It is speculated that the new MBP will be a bit thinner and lighter, possibly resembling the MBA. However the aesthetics and functionality of the current MBP line is already outstanding. While increased resolution is always welcome, it remains to be seen if MBP's get the full on retina resolution. I would think it would be costly to do retina resolutions in the larger screen sizes and the 15" and 17" already have solid hi res options. A reduced glare glossy display I'm sure would be welcome although again for 15" and 17" there is an option for a matte display.

    Therefore at the end of the day while it would be prudent to wait for a refresh, this is particularly true if you are considering the 13" MBP.
  13. pacman7331 macrumors regular


    Apr 5, 2006
    Actually even if the MBPs do have the full double retina display resolution, It will probably be impossible for any MBP GPU to power it in all it's forms. For example it may be full retina display on OS X but when you open up a recent high res graphics game, GPU power will be insufficient most likely.

    So it will be interesting how Apple makes this work.
  14. StUPoT macrumors member

    May 23, 2011
    I reckon if there is going to be a Retina Display it will be an added extra that you will have to pay for just like the High Res options.
    If you are planning for a 13" then wait but I think it will be a longer wait than the 15" option. The other reason to wait for this one is the GPU options the redesign could give you.

    If you want a 15" or a 17" then grab one now... they are great machines and extremely powerful! You are going to looking at a good 5 years before these machines need replacing and who knows you may not even get a 17" option with the next gen

Share This Page