Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJohnMajed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
I’m a junior CS college student, I only own an old windows laptop that pretty much sucks in every possible way, all of my work is done on my decent pc though and while I really coding on my PC I need a good machine to be with me when I’m out or traveling (Which I’ll be doing a lot after one month).

I joined this subreddit to search for reviews and I found this problem with the keyboard.... I was thinking about getting 16GB, 256GB SSD MBP 2017 but now I’m not sure at all. I know that theyll probably release the new 8th gen and fix keyboard issue in WWDC but the problem is, I’m from Egypt and those MBs are so expensive here and I was going to ship it to my friend who’s returning to Egypt the next week, it costs 50% more to buy it here so basically it's the only chance to buy it.

So I was wondering if the keyboard problem is really that bad and I should just refrain from buying it?

Another concern for me is the durability of that MBP 2017, I’m only going for the 16GB because I want to have this laptop working for at least 4 years , I’ve heard of old MBPs lasting way more than that and still going hard!

Please advice me. Thanks.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
If it was me I would get a 2015 model and avoid the 2016-2017 models like the plague

For computer science student the need for a Esc key alone should be a deterant, but basically the touchbar is a gimic and the ultra low travel makes the keyboards uncomfy not to mention grit is hard to remove (egypt has sand right ;) ) from them and can cause more damage then the older retina models.

If it's going to be your main system you're gonna want to keyboard that doesn't suck and ports are nice not to mention money savings :D

iJohnMajed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
If it was me I would get a 2015 model and avoid the 2016-2017 models like the plague

For computer science student the need for a Esc key alone should be a deterant, but basically the touchbar is a gimic and the ultra low travel makes the keyboards uncomfy not to mention grit is hard to remove (egypt has sand right ;) ) from them and can cause more damage then the older retina models.

If it's going to be your main system you're gonna want to keyboard that doesn't suck and ports are nice not to mention money savings :D

I agree to that, I'm not considering the TB models, :p You can find Sand in Sahara and around Pyramids hahaha.

What are your thoughts on the 2015 15.4" MBP model? Is it worth it buy it now? It's $1,799, no tax.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I agree to that, I'm not considering the TB models, :p You can find Sand in Sahara and around Pyramids hahaha.

What are your thoughts on the 2015 15.4" MBP model? Is it worth it buy it now? It's $1,799, no tax.

I love mine that I got around 1 and a bit years ago. It may not be a slim or svelte as a 2016 or 2017 one, but it does feel like it's got the power (I run two virtual machines on it, one Windows, one Linux) and it's not got a newer keyboard either, so that soothes my fevered brow of concern there!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
You might want to wait a month until the WWDC. Apple may announce updates to the MacBook/MacBook Air/MacBook Pro lines
And when they do, the 2017 models will likely drop in price.

iJohnMajed, when is your friend next going to be able to help you out? Are you sure you'll be able to get it through customs with no taxes or duties? Are you going to throw away the box?

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Question the MacBook and MacBook Pro.... new models will be announced in June of this year?
If so when can we expect a release date? In June or later down the road?

Also does the Pro and MacBook share the same keyboard/issues????

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Question the MacBook and MacBook Pro.... new models will be announced in June of this year?
If so when can we expect a release date? In June or later down the road?
Nobody knows yet. But if they announce they should be available pretty quick. Last year @ WWDC they were available starting the day they were announced.
Also does the Pro and MacBook share the same keyboard/issues????
Yes

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Nobody knows yet. But if they announce they should be available pretty quick. Last year @ WWDC they were available starting the day they were announced.

Yes

Ok. Thought only the pro had the keyboard issues. WWDC is in June this year?
I might just wait and see what apple does.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
Ok. Thought only the pro had the keyboard issues. WWDC is in June this year?
I might just wait and see what apple does.
The MacBook Pros share the butterfly keys that were originally on the MacBook so they both have the Issues

WWDC typically they announce MacBook pros that are either released the same day or 2 to 3 weeks after if it's longer than that away they don't bother to announce it then and I'll do it in October or something like that
Yes WWDC is June this year ( 4th to 8th) The Keynote is usually the first day which is a Monday which is weird because in my brain I think that they're typically Tuesdays

iJohnMajed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
And when they do, the 2017 models will likely drop in price.

iJohnMajed, when is your friend next going to be able to help you out? Are you sure you'll be able to get it through customs with no taxes or duties? Are you going to throw away the box?

There's no schedule to when his next trip is, he just got there because his sister was giving birth. And yes I can get it through customs with no taxes, Box will not be thrown, customs in Egypt rarely care about your personal stuff (i.e. if you've 1 macbook it's fine they consider it personal stuff but if you've multiple ones then there's a problem).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.