iPad Should I buy my Dad an Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patseguin, Dec 1, 2013.

?

What size iPad for Dad

1. 16 GB

28.9%
  2. 32 GB

55.3%
  3. 64 GB

15.8%
  1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

My Dad had a 2nd gen (no retina) iPad for a while and uses it constantly. He doesn't do any gaming and cellular is probably of no use for him. He also doesn't do gaming. Which capacity Air would be sufficient for his uses? 16 seems too small and 32 a possibility so maybe 64. What do you guys think?

2. rkuo macrumors 6502a

In all likelihood 16GB will be sufficient, but why don't you just look at how much storage he is using now? The key will be how often he downloads new apps and whether or not he knows how to load music and movies onto the thing.

3. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Next time I visit him I'll have to look at his used space. I don't believe he even loads movies on it and I'm pretty sure he has iTunes Match. I'd just hate to get 16 and have it not be enough.

4. chiu macrumors newbie

I would go for the 32gb ipad air just to be save :)
    i traded in my ipad 2 16gb for a 32gb ipad air so if i ever wanted to take my ipad with me on trips, i can load a few movies on the ipad without worrying running out of space :D

5. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Definitely 32gb for the Air, but I have just got the new mini retina and 16gb is okay for that. Photos and apps on the Air and just surfing on the mini.

6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

128GB iPad Air. This is the man that changed your diapers, spent countless sleepless nights when you wouldn't sleep as a baby, raised you and loved you no matter what. Why not spoil him?

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Hey he's your dad for crying out loud. He raised you, did his duty to make you into a man, and provided loving care when you needed it most. The very least you can do now is to get him a fully decked out iPad (128GB + cellular) to show him how much you love, care, and appreciate him.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm all for showing appreciating to our parents, but mindlessly spending money on features they may not need doesn't strike me as the best way to do it.

9. donnaw macrumors 65816

As a parent with grown children I can say that most parents don't want their kids overspending for gifts. Personally I would appreciate a 'right size' iPad since it would signify my lessons on money management worked.

OP, sounds like you don't live near him so you may not be able to just look. Call him and start a conversation about iPads and storage. Feel him out and get an idea of what he actually does with it. It may come as a surprise to many kids but we parents usually have lives outside our parental duties. He just may actually appreciate a fully loaded 128 gb with LTE, especially if he travels a lot.

But when all else fails, get the 32 and make it clear that if he wants, you can return it for a different size.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Should you buy him an Air? That depends... Does he really want a puppy tho?

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If they made an 8GB Air with a non-retina screen, that would be ideal for my father.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, the 32 is more than enough for him I'm thinking. Nice gift, BTW....:)

13. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iPad Air 32gb. Receiving an iPad as a gift in the first place is the best gift someone can give IMO.

14. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

…eyes rolling….

15. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

amen. my dad taught me not piss away money on things i don't need.

16. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Sounds like good advice to me. The iPad Air would be a great gift for your father, but there is no point in spending an excessive amount for features he does not need and won't use.

17. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

It sounds like the 32gb will be perfect. He's not a gamer, and uses itunes match. Those are 2 things that take up alot of storage space for most people.

He'll love all of the upgrades that Apple has made since the Ipad 2.