Should I buy my friends MBP Core Duo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jnash, May 31, 2007.

1. jnash macrumors regular

Hey guys I have been waiting for the newer mbp's to come out buy my buddy has a MBP Core Duo 1.83 728mb ram he wants to sell me for $1,000 bucks (xbox 360 core and 800 bucks) I am kinda iffy to buy it but how big is the difference between core 2 vs core duo, also is this really a good deal? Or should I spend an extra 200 and get a macbook white core 2 (2.0)/1gig refurb.

P.S. His "D" key on the keyboard is broke how much/easy is a repair like that?

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

That is a pretty good deal, depending on what you will use it for the mbp wil lhave some advantages, bigger screen, graphics card, etc. The difference between the core duo and c2d is not that great, and depnding on what you use it for will hardly be noticeable. Id go with that mbp, its a great deal.

3. jnash thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! I will proabaly be using imovie/photoshop and MAYBE final cut 2

4. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

That's not a bad deal for that Macbook Pro, you probably wouldn't see a huge difference between the Core Duo and the Core 2 Duo anyway. In reality, a Macbook would be fine for your needs, the only thing that makes me think twice is Final Cut. A Macbook would run iMovie and Photoshop fine, but FC would be a little iffy. It seems like you want it for editing, both movie and images. In that case a bigger screen is always nice to have. Even if you weren't going to be using Final Cut, editing on a 13" Macbook can get annoying. I think that MBP would be a good buy. :D

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I agree about editing on the smaller screen, but the MB will run Final Cut with no problem at all.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Does he have Apple Care on it?

How does he treat his things? Why is he willing to part with it so "cheap"?

Are you really buying a problem?!?!