Should I buy my iMac now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleFanBoii, May 15, 2015.

1. AppleFanBoii macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

I have finally got the funds to go ahead and buy myself a new Mac, my MacBook Pro is on its last legs so decided it was time to buy a new one, and I spend my time as a desk and would rather have an iMac!

So, I have about 2.5k to play with, I want the Retina iMac as I believe higher resolution really is the way to go, now, do I upgrade to the i7 or keep it at the i5? I've heard go for the RAM yourself instead of through Apple. I'm also upgrading the graphics to the highest 4GB option.

Now my only main question is, are we going to be seeing a refresh at all? Or should I just go for it now?

2. sakabaro macrumors regular

I think a refresh at the coming event is unlikely for the riMac 27".

Nevertheless, I still hope they will replace the GPU m295x by a Nvidia that doesn't throttle but the odds are low.

We might see a new riMac 21.5" though as they haven't updated this line to retina last time.

I would say wait if you don't mind waiting another month or go ahead if you need it now.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It depends on what you do with your iMac, though for most things the i5 will be fine. Same goes for the stock 8 GB RAM.

Wait if you're willing to wait until around October, otherwise go for it now.

4. marina-tylo macrumors newbie

Planning to wait

I have two macs and I am waiting for next round of products. I love my Mac Air---It wish it had better graphics

Marina Tylo

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Just got the base model for work and it does just fine with heavy Illustrator and Photoshop files.

I only upgraded it with an extra 2x4GB of RAM for a total of 16GB.

Seems just as fast as my Mac Pro 3,1 but "dat screen"'is totally worth it when doing things for print etc.

6. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

"dat screen" is not only for print, it's a whole new desktop experience :cool:

So...glad that I went for the retina model instead.

7. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

where abouts did you buy your 2 x 4GB chips?

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

They are just Kingston SODIMM 1600Mhz modules for Mac. Plenty of places have those in stock :)

9. matabot macrumors newbie

Ok my advice... wait for WWDC to pass by. A refresh is rumoured to be coming then, and the timing matches up. The R9 295X, generates a lot of heat and performs awfully compared to the GTX 980M which should be replacing it, and I'd hold out for one of those to appear in an iMac.

10. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

Well it only came out in October time? That's why I still don't think a June update is likely? I don't know!

It's only a few weeks wait I suppose!

11. matabot macrumors newbie

Here's why. Because the GTX 900 series cards weren't released back last october, and because the M9 295X is throttling like a boss. Don't believe me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgTMxB-ffjM

Also the 290 series is SO much slower and performs much worse than the GTX series. The r9 290 which is the flagship and card, at the same price, performs worse than a gtx 970, which is nvidia's 3rd best card. Also because people are talking about an iMac 8k happening, they might strap something like a titan to an iMac or Mac Pro soon.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

8K is years away

And you won't see an update til autumn.

13. rosario1990 macrumors regular

That's a good idea buddy. Go ahead.

14. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

So final verdict everyone...

do i buy today

Yes or no?

(because i don't think we'll see an update at WWDC)

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Maybe wait until Wednesday to see if this turns out to be true, but I have my doubts about a Retina iMac update.

16. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

Yeah i saw that, but the normal 27" iMac didn't get a refresh in October did it? So that seems likely! but i think i will wait! it is only 2 days i suppose! ;)

17. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

So it turns out the Retina did get an update! Today!

Will be ordering tonight!

18. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Yes, you saved 200 euro if you are going for a base model (HDD no fusion drive). I also wonder what's the difference between a R9 M290X with and without the X.

I got mine 2 weeks ago.. so pity for me...

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No it didn't we got a cheaper worse version of the retina iMac, presumably to replace the 27 inch non retina at that price point. However a retina mac running yosemite without any sort of SSD seems like a recipe for a usability nightmare to me.

20. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

The existing model is 200 cheaper...

It was good you waited OP. Order now.

21. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The fact that Apple still so badly wants to sell an iMac without an SSD, knowing that it'll perform comparatively poorly on Yosemite... I really thought the baseline Retina coming with a Fusion drive was a sign they had changed their ways for the better, at least for higher-end models (the baseline 2014 Mac mini comes with an HDD as well).

Anyway, I was right in my doubt of an update. OP, go ahead and order the model that was discounted by $200.

22. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Not mention the fact about the huge markup just to get a 128GB SSD with the Fusion Drive.

The new $1999 retina iMac looks enticing, but only having a 1TB HDD with a $200 upgrade just to get a fusion drive is disappointing.

23. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

About to order it now, but my final question!

Which do i need?

3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    or
    4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz

It will be used for Photoshop, Video editing, I say gaming... but only really World of Warcraft and Sims, i'm upgrading the graphics anyway, and buying RAM chips from Amazon, just the processor I'm unsure of!

24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Thats a tough call. Depends on your video editing software, the hyperthreading on the i7 giving you 8 virtual cores can give a real boost to apps that use it, check your software for wether it can leverage the extra power.

25. rosario1990 macrumors regular

You know what's the better. Do you as you think best for you.