Should I buy new Mac Pro -will it make any difference ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hwill2008, Aug 6, 2010.

1. hwill2008 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, i am trying to get some advice here to make a really important decision.

I am contemplating buying a new 8 core Mac Pro next week in the hopes that i will then be able to run as many rtas Virtual instruments as possible such as Omnisphere and Kontakt.

At the moment i am running a macbook pro with 4gb ram and it maxes out with say 10 VI's and plugins like eleven take up almost 10-12%cpu at an instance ...does anyone know what difference getting a new mac pro will make. I am running reaper as my VI host to get a bit more juice out of laptop

I am worried that pro tools RTAS still can only use 4gb ram and the VI's will only allow to run marginally more ? can anyone comment on their experience with Mac Pro's and Pro tools LE ?

Will i see a brand new world or should i save my £3,000.00 pounds

Please chime in ... I don't want to waste this money.

2. Ravich macrumors 6502a

3. aLfR3dd macrumors member

I'm interested in this too...I would love to buy a 12 cores Mac Pro..but apparently Cubase (which I use) on Mac, doesn't take full advantage of all these cores...so I guess a fast Quad or Six Core is still the best option at the moment. Not sure when the number of cores will influence the performance...

I have to research more, but I'm probably waiting till Sandy Bridge when hopefully more softwares will be able to efficently use 12 or more cores...