Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But a lot of people say that the current gpu line is just a rebrand of the old one and it is rather undewhelming for a 5k iMac with noticeable lag...
I have a 2015 iMac, I'm on the M395 model, and I see no lag. I was playing Fallout New Vegas on it and that was working very well. I didn't have the detail all the way up - I think it was set on medium resolution. I didn't buy it for game playing and I don't think its a great tool for that, but for my needs I'm extremely happy with the performance.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
I have a 2015 iMac, I'm on the M395 model, and I see no lag. I was playing Fallout New Vegas on it and that was working very well. I didn't have the detail all the way up - I think it was set on medium resolution. I didn't buy it for game playing and I don't think its a great tool for that, but for my needs I'm extremely happy with the performance.

Did the computer get noticabely hot while playing the game even on medium res? Just curious...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did the computer get noticabely hot while playing the game even on medium res? Just curious...
I wasn't playing attention, as the game was in Windows. I got the game for my PS3, so I stopped playing it on the iMac - its more enjoyable for me to play the game in the living room then sitting in front of a computer.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I would gladly give up form for function and not have to feel around for the button on the back. I wouldn't mind it on keyboard. As long as it's somewhere I can see. Dell monitors have the button on the lower right hand side and it fits in nicely with the design. At least I don't find them ugly.
I dont think Apple would agree. I think ports need to be moved though but I don't know where - I would say the bottom but there is no space with the speakers and thinner side, and on the front would be most useful but would look awful especially with things plugged in.

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
This video investigates overheating on a 2015 iMac vs. the 2014 iMac. It doesn't answer all questions but might allay( in some cases might raise a concern depending on how the Mac is used ) your concerns a little.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This video investigates overheating on a 2015 iMac vs. the 2014 iMac. It doesn't answer all questions but might allay your fears a little.
I saw that video, and my iMac's performance and heat mirrors that of the video. It does seem to run cooler then the prior years model

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I wasn't playing attention, as the game was in Windows. I got the game for my PS3, so I stopped playing it on the iMac - its more enjoyable for me to play the game in the living room then sitting in front of a computer.

Steam Link to the rescue! I've been enjoying many games on my iMac (macOS and Windows) in my living room as well thanks to it. :D

Last edited:

NMSUballa

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I dont think Apple would agree. I think ports need to be moved though but I don't know where - I would say the bottom but there is no space with the speakers and thinner side, and on the front would be most useful but would look awful especially with things plugged in.

I think Apple would disagree as well. My brother got me a Kindle Fire and its annoying how they have the volume buttons and the power button on the back of the tablet. You can't feel around for it either because you won't know whether you are touching the wrong button. It's a small thing but it makes me choose the iPad where you can grab it and immediately get on with what you are wanting to use it for. I like the idea of the Apple logo being the power button.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
Well however you want to look at it, the fact remains that this is the longest time the iMac has gone without absolutely zero physical design tweaks, which is why I'm looking forward to the next time that happens. My biggest hope is for a substantial reduction in the bezels. They look severely outdated in 2016 in my opinion.

How about these bezels?
I also would like to see a white and dark grey colors.

Reactions: Icaras

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
How about these bezels?
I also would like to see a white and dark grey colors.

Yea those bezels look fantastic. Looks very modern and up to date already! I really wish Apple would just do this already.

And I'd love a return to an all white iMac personally myself but I think that would only make sense to me if they were to truly return back to the iMac G5 design and combine the chin and bezel into one unibody part and use the same material as the bezel (like the iOS devices). That way I'd like to see the entire front a glossy white or glossy black finish. But I doubt this will happen.

More likely I think what will happen is that they'll continue to use the aluminum chin with black bezels, with the possibility of different colored metal finishes for the chin and back, like the new MacBook.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Yea those bezels look fantastic. Looks very modern and up to date already! I really wish Apple would just do this already.

And I'd love a return to an all white iMac personally myself but I think that would only make sense to me if they were to truly return back to the iMac G5 design and combine the chin and bezel into one unibody part and use the same material as the bezel (like the iOS devices). That way I'd like to see the entire front a glossy white or glossy black finish. But I doubt this will happen.

More likely I think what will happen is that they'll continue to use the aluminum chin with black bezels, with the possibility of different colored metal finishes for the chin and back, like the new MacBook.
Yeah they indicated a possible move away from chins with the 2012 MacBook Pro but it looks like they haven't as one is present on the new MacBook. I'm interested in seeing what they will do with colors but I think they should move towards a MacBook style chin (where the chin is space gray regardless of the body color), although that may take away from the seamless effect created when they are the same color.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
I don't think Apple will go with glossy finish or other material than aluminum because of technical issues like the increased heat inside the imacs. It needs to be aluminum to absorb the insane heat that's caused of the thin body and the AIO design. That's what I've read though without being an expert in technology.
But personally I love the white finish visually like the old style macs.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I wonder if the thicker bezels were necessary to support the separate glass cover of older iMacs. Now that the glass is bonded to the LCD below it, Apple should be able to narrow the width of the bezel.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yeah they indicated a possible move away from chins with the 2012 MacBook Pro but it looks like they haven't as one is present on the new MacBook. I'm interested in seeing what they will do with colors but I think they should move towards a MacBook style chin (where the chin is space gray regardless of the body color), although that may take away from the seamless effect created when they are the same color.

I never even noticed that subtle space gray trim at the bottom of the MacBook. Interesting. It looks really sleek actually.

I think that trim might look pretty slick too on the iMac, as long as it closely resembles that proportions on the MacBook.
[doublepost=1469240180][/doublepost]
I don't think Apple will go with glossy finish or other material than aluminum because of technical issues like the increased heat inside the imacs. It needs to be aluminum to absorb the insane heat that's caused of the thin body and the AIO design. That's what I've read though without being an expert in technology.
But personally I love the white finish visually like the old style macs.

I agree about heat issues, but the chin seems like a small percentage of the surface area of the iMac. Also, it's quite possible in some future redesign that Apple may reduce the size of the chin. So I wonder if heat may even be a problem at all if that ever happens. I'm not sure about the general consensus, but I certainly wouldn't mind a reduction in not only the bezels, but the chin as well.
[doublepost=1469240214][/doublepost]
I wonder if the thicker bezels were necessary to support the separate glass cover of older iMacs. Now that the glass is bonded to the LCD below it, Apple should be able to narrow the width of the bezel.

One can only hope!

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wouldn't mind a thinner bezel, but the lower "chin" doesn't really bother me. Perhaps its my first iMac since I had a bondi Blue iMac but overall I love the look of the iMac. I do question the wisdom in making a desktop computer (that is generally not moving), to be thin, but that's a discussion for a different day.

Tiberius2000

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2015
Washington D.C.
So what is the verdict: What probability of an iMac update is there by late October?

With no CPU update will we see an iMac with only updated GPU a I/O ports?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Without the corresponding chipset for Kaby Lake, the change to USB-C would only be a physical port change....you still only get USB-3.1 Gen 1 speeds. IMHO for it to make sense on a desktop machine like Mac Pro or iMac you need Kaby Lake and the 200 series chipset to do more to physical USB-C ports that are doing USB-3 Gen 2 and TB 3 speeds. Then you can drive an external 5K monitor.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
"However, tech observers are saying that Kaby Lake will only happen if Apple decides to release the new iMac in 2016. If the company will opt for a 2017 launching, the American tech giant may use the more powerful Cannonlake processor, which is the expected successor of the Kaby Lake.

Meanwhile, previous report suggested that not only will the new iMac carry a powerful processor; it will also have one of the best GPU in the market today, the AMD's Polaris."

Siurce: http://christiantimes.com/article/a...with-powerful-intel-chipset-amd-gpu/58916.htm

Ugh...even if Apple updates the iMac with Kaby Lake soon, in 2017 there's gonna be Cannonlake an even more superior processor than Kaby...Damn I can't wait until 2017.

I wouldn't wait for Kaby Lake. MR just had an article it most likely wouldn't be available for most Macs until 2017. That's not October, and it's a not a big improvement anyway.
[doublepost=1469281583][/doublepost]
I saw that video, and my iMac's performance and heat mirrors that of the video. It does seem to run cooler then the prior years model

I had the iMac with the 680mx and was surprised, even under heavy load, the back of the iMac would be quite cool. Does your iMac have the 395x, and would you say the same about it?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I would say, chances are we won't see a new iMac this year, but I would wait until the other Macs gets released this year and see what apple does...I'm guessing they will tie it with the iPhone event unless a Apple Watch 2 is on the horizon (because the iPhone 7 doesnt seem to hold enough originality worthy of a focused event, ..based on the rumors that is.). If you dont see a new iMac then, I think its safe to say you are in for a long wait unless you get the current or a different computer.

Its going to be exciting, this will be the fall that decides if Im going to continue using Mac as my professional computer.

blufrog

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2014
But a lot of people say that the current gpu line is just a rebrand of the old one and it is rather undewhelming for a 5k iMac with noticeable lag...
That's the general impression I got anyways.

I have the M295X model and don't notice lag issues. Scrolling lists is not perfectly smooth, but I haven't noticed a problem elsewhere. I game pretty hard on it too without problems.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I have the M295X model and don't notice lag issues. Scrolling lists is not perfectly smooth, but I haven't noticed a problem elsewhere. I game pretty hard on it too without problems.

Its not bad, by all means, but it depends what you use it for. For regular use, scrolling, web browsing, photoshop etc its fine. But for rendering, 3d applications, heavy computational work, it has a certain amount of limitations. So more juice is good. Also you cannot game on any mac on full quality on GPU heavy games, which is why games companies is stopping to make games for OSX. ...which is a shame.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Have you noticed any UI lag or other things that make you wish you had picked the 395x?
Nope, I'm very happy with my M395.

I think the M395x is something that maybe is more geared for gaming, I don't know, but I'm very happy with the M395

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I would say, chances are we won't see a new iMac this year, but I would wait until the other Macs gets released this year and see what apple does...I'm guessing they will tie it with the iPhone event unless a Apple Watch 2 is on the horizon (because the iPhone 7 doesnt seem to hold enough originality worthy of a focused event, ..based on the rumors that is.). If you dont see a new iMac then, I think its safe to say you are in for a long wait unless you get the current or a different computer.

Its going to be exciting, this will be the fall that decides if Im going to continue using Mac as my professional computer.

I agree. With Kaby Lake looking like a very minor bump, and not available until 2017, I see them reworking the 21" line to all 4K. But nothing major to the 27" line, if anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.