Should I buy now or wait next year?

Ridan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
8
0
I want to get the 13 inch 2018 Macbook Pro however I was wondering if I should wait next year when it may be a bit cheaper or just buy now.

The reason I am asking is because I live in the UK and I'm thinking that brexit could raise the prices.
 

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
2,275
668
If you have a need now, buy now. If not - if what you have works for you - then by waiting you will in all likelihood get more tech for same money (or less).

(Unless I missed something in the Brexit news that indicated Macs would be more expensive ...)
 

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2016
363
436
Boulder, CO
I want to get the 13 inch 2018 Macbook Pro however I was wondering if I should wait next year when it may be a bit cheaper or just buy now.

The reason I am asking is because I live in the UK and I'm thinking that brexit could raise the prices.
IMO, if you are asking the question, you may as well wait.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jaduff46

smirking

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
2,626
2,284
Silicon Valley
IMO, if you are asking the question, you may as well wait.
Well, I think he's in a different situation than most people asking this question. Most people are dithering because they want to time the market and score a win.

I'm guessing that @Ridan actually needs a new MBP sometime in the next 12 months and is wondering if currency fluctuations might make the next MBP release dramatically more expensive regardless of whether there are comparable performance increases.

The usual wisdom of "buy it if you need it" is less seaworthy in the OP's case, but absent any killer insight into how the currency rates might respond perhaps the best anyone can advise is...

Buy it if you need it. Otherwise, wait.
 

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
2,620
3,534
I often wait for either third-party reseller sales or, more often, for refurbished ones to hit the Apple Store. Refurb prices usually slash at least a couple hundred dollars off the full retail price.

If you have a need now, buy now. If not - if what you have works for you - then by waiting you will in all likelihood get more tech for same money (or less).

(Unless I missed something in the Brexit news that indicated Macs would be more expensive ...)
Well, there is the question of exchange rates...
 
  • Like
Reactions: smirking

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2016
363
436
Boulder, CO
Well, I think he's in a different situation than most people asking this question. Most people are dithering because they want to time the market and score a win.

I'm guessing that @Ridan actually needs a new MBP sometime in the next 12 months and is wondering if currency fluctuations might make the next MBP release dramatically more expensive regardless of whether there are comparable performance increases.

The usual wisdom of "buy it if you need it" is less seaworthy in the OP's case, but absent any killer insight into how the currency rates might respond perhaps the best anyone can advise is...

Buy it if you need it. Otherwise, wait.
I understood his concerns about the currency question. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has any idea how the financial markets will play out. (note the 800pt drop in the DOW yesterday.) If the OP lived with high inflation, then I would say, "Buy Now." But in this situation, I think it is hard to tell.

ergo, I agree with your final conclusion. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: smirking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.