Should I buy now, or wait till june?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billabong, Mar 10, 2008.

1. billabong macrumors 6502

With all the rumors swirling around about iPhone 2.0

Is it a good idea to purchase and iPhone now? I'm in Canada so I would be having to unlock it to use it, but should I hold off a while longer to see what comes in June?...

Do you all think it will be a whole new phone, or just the current iPhone with 3G?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Buy it now. You've got nothing to lose.

3. rozwell macrumors regular

i waited for news specifically like this to buy. iPhone 8 months ago is nothing like what it is today (and not worth $399, much less $599 back then), but in 3 - 4 months it will be something even better making my purchase even more worth it. buy it now, unlock it and wait for someone to fix 2.0 when it comes out. otherwise you have to downgrade the software and hope all goes well. right now everything works as hacked.

also as for the 3g waiters... in my case (tmobile usa) 3g is far off, so the wait it worthless and coming from 3g on sprint, its practically not noticeable. get your iphone now and enjoy it.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

There are about 1 Gagillion posts on this.

EVERYONE SHOULD BUY AN IPHONE YESTERDAY!

Its literally the best piece of technology anyone can own. Hand down!

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

true that. it could be the single greatest piece of technology i have/will ever purchase, no doubt

6. drb6 macrumors regular

I think people should be required to disclose how much Apple stock they own, in their profiles. I worry sometimes ;)

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

No stock here, I'm no Rockefeller... But seriously, for the past 8 months I have been in iPhone heaven.

8. drb6 macrumors regular

Hehe, good to hear. Will be getting mine as soon as a 32gb version releases and makes its way into the refurbished store :D

9. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

If you wait until June and they don't introduce a 3G iPhone, then you'll want to wait until August to see if they introduce something at MacWorld. If they don't introduce something then, you'll wait until November for the pre-Christmas updates.

You're going to keep waiting unless you have a specific need for a certain capacity or feature. I say buy it and enjoy it now.

10. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Buy it!!! I waited and waited, thinking that I could hold out for the 3G, but I was just too intrigued to get my hands on one and play with it. I finally did about 3 weeks ago and LOVE it!

I seriously think that there is something addictive about it. I'll be the first to admit that there are a few things that it should do that it doesn't, but the things that it does do are with such elegance that it makes up for what it lacks (for me at least!)

Enjoy it!

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

12. ekeithj macrumors newbie

I don't understand...

If I buy the iPhone now, when the 3G comes out will it just be a software upgrade that I can get for my "old" iPhone, or is it new hardware all the way around?

If it's just a software then I'll buy one tomorrow.

If it's hardware then will I be able to trade in my old phone for some sort of credit on the new one?

It's a lot of money, that's why the thought process is soooo slow for me.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

14. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

If i can get my hands on on att refurb for 250 then I'll buy, otherwise I'm waiting. I've waited this long why not wait 3-6 more months:cool:

15. billabong thread starter macrumors 6502

Guess you guys do have some good points, I've been waiting forever. Feels like I just keep on waiting. I haven't bought or upgraded my phone since the iPhone announcement way way back. In fact I was even holding out before it was announced, based on rumors about this phone...

I'm in canada, so I do have to unlock it. I would really like to get my hands on a refurbished one if I could, but I don't think I could buy one from a AT&T store because I'm not american...

What did you fellow canadians do to get your iPhones? I don't want to pay some inflated price either for unlocking, I know how to do that myself...

16. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

It will be a hardware upgrade and no, you won't be able to trade in your old phone for credit. So, if you think that you have to have 3G, you should wait. I thought that, but am amazed how much I enjoy using it at home over WiFi (and how quickly it connects and stays connected). If I had to do a bunch of surfing the net on Edge (yes, I know it's not as fast as WiFi), I might feel differently. Edge isn't too bad for some things, but not so great for other things. It all depends on how you will use it!