Should i buy now

Discussion in 'iPad' started by deyncourtw07, Sep 15, 2012.

1. deyncourtw07 macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying an iPad now or in the very near future. Should I be waiting for updates with the new lightning connector or hold out for the 4th generation to fix the heat dissipation problems and other slight issues?

2. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

I'm thinking about the same question. I want to buy iPad for my studies. On the other hand, I am NOT the sort of person who sells (after a while) what he buys or who knowingly buys something for only 1-2 years. That's why I want to make certain that the iPad I buy will be a good long-term investment.

It's tough to decide what to do. The New iPad has had excellent reviews and the display is way better than the previous versions. On the other hand, we keep hearing things like "the current iPad 3 is Apple's plan B: they didn't have IGZO displays yet so they used technology that would cause the problems people are listing: too thick, too heavy, too warm and too long recharging time". To make decision making even more difficult, we keep hearing rumours about a "3.5" version (with IGZO-technology that would correct all the problems) that would be released before March's iPad 4.

I've been studying without an iPad for several years so I think I can wait a little bit more. Many people are happy with their iPad 3 and I'm not saying that it's a bad investment. However, I do think that iPad 3 does have more problems or question marks than the previous versions and that is why I would like to wait a little bit more.

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    No!:cool:ALWAYS wait for the latest and greatest, that way you will have nothing,except what you have now

4. davidinva macrumors 6502a

A lot of truth in that. If you have uses for the iPad, I would say get one now. When (and if) a new one comes out by March, resale on the previous ones has been very good. I have had a 3 for five months now, and find I use it more than I originally thought I would and it is certainly easier to carry than a laptop.

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

iPad resale values are great. I wouldn't hesitate.

6. Dkorda macrumors 6502

+1

7. LanEvo macrumors 6502

If you guys need it now then buy now, but if you can wait it out, wait until the first few weeks of Oct. because what you know is what we know. We don't know what they will announce.

8. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

I know this is the "stock answer" for these kinds of questions in every forum and, for the most part, it rings true. That does not mean, however, that it's always true. Surely there are situations when a manufacturer releases a product version that has problems unlike the previous or future versions have. In those cases it makes perfect sense to skip a version.

9. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

The problem with "holding out" is that you deprive yourself of all the enjoyment you could be having NOW! I'm in my 5th month of iPad 3 ownership & am delighted by it's goodness on a daily basis. If something new comes out I can continue to enjoy this device easily, alternatively I can sell it, recouping a good bit of funds to put towards the newer model. There is no losing here!

I am fortunate in that I get to use a lot of new devices on a regular basis & I have to say that in the full size form factor tablet category for 2012, thus far iPad 3 is the device of the year. Get one, your only regret will be that you didn't order sooner :)

10. Rodster, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

Rodster macrumors 68040

I say DO NOT buy now. It's mid Sept, and probably by April you'll wish you had bought the cool and immensely popular 4th Gen iPad. :D

The leap between the iPad 2 and 3rd Gen is all down to the screen. Hopefully next round we'll get higher storage and a faster processor. ;)

11. pizz macrumors regular

They'll always be a better version just around the corner! Unless they do something radical, itll just be minor improvments over the 3rd gen. Half of the features on the new pad i barely even use like the camera, facetime, etc.. I watch a few tv shows, check mail, surf web, use a few apps. Pretty much it. Most all i could do on my iPad2.:rolleyes: