Should I buy now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by damonbus, Sep 20, 2016.

  1. damonbus macrumors regular

    damonbus

    Joined:
    May 9, 2013
    Location:
    NY
    #1
    I need a laptop really bad. Should I buy a Macbook Pro now or wait? Any new rumors about next months release date?
     
  2. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

    ryannel2003

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2005
    Location:
    Greenville, NC
    #2
    If you really need a laptop now go ahead and buy one. There are some great deals to be had on the MBP currently. Last month I bought a new 13" Pro that had a $150 discount at Best Buy and I combined another $150 off in student discounts to get the computer for $1000. Hard to beat that on a $1300 laptop.
     
  3. xb2003 macrumors 6502

    xb2003

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2016
    Location:
    MO
    #3
    you shouldn't unless the current machine has benefits for you (USB A, TB2) or you absolutely need a machine.

    If you can wait a week or two, it might be released within the return period.

    The current ones are still really nice computers.
     
  4. Deane2000 macrumors member

    Deane2000

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2014
    Location:
    Southern California
    #4
    The only "right" time to make a purchase like this is if the time is right for you. Sure, the new models are coming, but 5 minutes after they show off the new models, everyone will be talking about when the next new models will be coming. This happened with the iPhone 7. All anyone was talking about was, when is the iPhone 8 dropping?

    If you need a machine, get one at a good price either through Apple clearing out the old stock or on a refurb and don't look back. Good luck!
     
  5. leechers macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    #5
    Rule of thumb from MacRumours forums: If you need it now, go ahead and buy it. If you don't need it you can wait.
     
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    No new rumors, but as you posted, folks here are expecting a new laptop next month. Since the Kaby Lake processor that will be used in MPBs isn't out yet, if we do see a refresh month, it will be skylake.

    Depending on your usage, and needs, waiting is the general consensus, but if you cannot wait, then buy now
     
  7. Starlock macrumors member

    Starlock

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2016
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #7
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Forget all the rational, sensible advice given above and join those of us waiting forever (in misery)!

    Seriously though it's like the worst time ever to purchase a Mac. All versions are in need of an update.
     
  8. Tarek macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2009
    Location:
    Cairo, Egypt
    #8
    I just purchased the latest MacBook Pro with 256GB of SSD and I couldn't be happier with it. Sure, it won't feel great when a new MacBook Pro eventually comes out (be it next month or next year), but as long as this Mac is performing well I'll be fine. What I've learned from Apple is that the "upgrades" aren't always worth it, especially if you're satisfied with the current product and it fulfills your tech needs.
     
  9. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

    Howard2k

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2016
    #9
    I have the current gen 13" Macbook Pro. Great laptop, I love it. I bought a refurb and liked the deal.
    If I was making a decision today I'd wait, the newer models aren't far away at this point. Or Apple has completely abandoned the platform. In either case the price point of the current model will decrease pretty soon.

    As much as I love my current one, and as confident as I am that I made the right decision at the time, if I was considering buying today and could wait a three months, I would. By the same token though, I won't be upgrading either. I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple comes up with, but whatever it is it's not going to make my current MBP any less useful at doing what it does now.
     
  10. dest macrumors member

    dest

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2014
    Location:
    UK
    #10
    I'm sat here wondering what to do too.
    I've currently got an early 2011 2.0 i7 MBP with 2 SSD drives.
    I'd love to upgrade it to a faster one as I do a lot of processor intensive music work, but do I get one now or wait.
    I just can't decide, but I'd like to sell this one while it has some value as its only a year away from the limit of what Sierra supports, does that mean next year it might not be supported by its replacement?
    I can't decide!
     
  11. binasc macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 18, 2014
    Location:
    EU / UAE
    #11
    I am in the same boat, I had to give my Mac to my partner, and now I am stuck with a limited laptop from work which is unusable for anything except loading up Facebook.

    I will probably go and buy a new MacBook with the new AMD X370 card, mainly because I am afraid that if I wait based on "rumors", I will end up waiting for another 2 months until the piece will be unveiled, which will ultimately mean 2 months more due to stock shortage or issues that Apple products tend to have from time to time.

    I've been looking for XPS alternatives, but Mac's still rule in my view ( leaving aside the gaming aspect ).
     
  12. Chupa Chupa, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

    Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #12
    If you buy one now, then Apple will release the new one exactly one day after the last day you can return. If you don't buy now Apple will never release one despite constant teasing by its CEO to "stay tuned." In the event Apple does release one after you have "stayed tuned" it will be like the the last one minute of the Soprano's series finale -- much anticipation about nothing exciting.

    Personally, I'm in the "stay tuned" camp, but my MBP is "only" 4 years old and I'm bracing for disappointment.
     

Share This Page