Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shortnsweet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Arkansas
First, let me start by saying I am finally switching after 6 years of wanting to. (Before, I was in school and my parents bought my computers.)

I waited until after WWDC just to make sure no new iMacs came out, but since nothing did - I'm wondering if I should keep waiting of just buy now. I am generally a very impatient person, and I'd really like the iPod promo. :)

So, to help me decide, how hard will it be to upgrade to Leopard after the fact? Should I go ahead and splurge on the 24"? I don't do anything intensive - basic computer stuff, photo editing and the occasional, simple DVD. Would the 24" be worth the added expense for me?

Would you suggest buying now or is the current hardware on the verge of being completely outdated?

Thanks for your help!

Jan 30, 2006
The current iMac is a very good computer that would last you for a long time, specially since you won't use any intense apps in it.

Upgrading to Leopard is easy, so that shouldn't be an impediment.

If you need it, go for it. If you can wait without problems, then it would probably be good.
A new update to the iMac seems to be just around the corner. Maybe 1-2 months. But could be longer.:(

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I think the next Apple event is in October or November. I say just buy now. Anything getting updated in the next month 3-4 months in my opinion is very small since the Apple promotion for a free nano has already begun. It will be a mess for them if they have to add in another SKU into the promotion.

Shortnsweet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Arkansas
I'm going to go ahead and buy. :D (Like I said, I'm impatient.)

Are there any upgrades I should really get, like increased RAM or HD size? Any apps that I won't be able to live without?

I'm really excited!

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I'm going to go ahead and buy. :D (Like I said, I'm impatient.)

Are there any upgrades I should really get, like increased RAM or HD size? Any apps that I won't be able to live without?

I'm really excited!

Well, when I get my 24" iMac (I'm going to wait another month or so, just in case), I'm going to have 2GB RAM and a 500GB hard drive. And probably a 256MB video card. Those are the upgrades I recommend, though maybe not all of them.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
If I were in the market for an iMac, I'd wait. It's not a big surprise that no hardware was announced today, as I think Apple is trying to get away from people's expectations being tied to these events.

That said, Steve did drop a hint at his recent interview (the one with Bill Gates). Someone asked him if Apple would be getting out of the computing business and he said that Apple's commitment to computing is as strong as ever and he hinted that we'd see something to support this very soon.

Any way you slice it, I'd be surprised if the update didn't come well before October and much more likely by June or July.

gaelan

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
Apple's commitment to computing is as strong as ever and he hinted that we'd see something to support this very soon.

such as leopard features

Any way you slice it, I'd be surprised if the update didn't come well before October and much more likely by June or July.

doubt it. back to school promo will be used to sell off current model ipods and computers. a new sku/model number will appear after "Major in Mac".

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
doubt it. back to school promo will be used to sell off current model ipods and computers. a new sku/model number will appear after "Major in Mac".

It has to be updated before October. The iMac is their consumer desktop machine. With Santa Rosa out, it seems inconceivable that Apple wouldn't at least offer a speed-bump upgrade in the next couple months. Might not be the big redesign everyone's talking about, but there will be some sort of upgrade. I'd be willing to place money on it.

Shortnsweet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Arkansas
I went ahead and purchased. My iPod died, so I wanted to take advantage of the promo.

It'll be here in a few days! I'm SO excited. :D I got the 20" with 2GB RAM. I think I'll be more than happy, even if it is a little past its prime, I love the look and the specs are quite a bit higher than anything I've used before.

So .. YAY

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
yeah I wouldn't have waited either m8. In the technology gadget world, if something meets your needs, buy it. You will be waiting for eternity trying to catch the latest release.

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
I personally would have waited, I was in the same dilemma when I was buying my iBook and I'm happy I waited and got the update.

At the same time there's nothing wrong with this model I have a 17' myself and it's a fantastic machine :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.