Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arethusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I'm thinking about getting a 15" mbp, and I'm a little uncertain about buying, partially because of the problems with the 500GB 7200rpm drives, and partially because I wonder what's coming in the next update (granted, probably three months off).

Is there any information on when the hard drive issue is going to be fixed? I kind of like the idea of the 256GB SSD (128 is absolutely too small), but the cost is absolutely prohibitive (and I worry about how long SSDs last). For that matter, is there any information/reasonable speculation on what's coming in the next update and when that will be? This is going to be my first mac, and I'd like to get a good machine; on the other hand, I need a new computer for this semester pretty badly as my current Asus laptop is dying. Help.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Firstly, not everyone is having that issue in regards to the hard drive. Remember, the people posting on MR represent less than 1/10th of 1% of the Mac community and we are all geeks here so we will be the most vocal if the computer starts up one second slower than expected. Only people with issues will post.

The new Macbook line was just intro'd in June. Don't expect anything new coming out possibly January or february. If you need it now then buy it. Even if something was coming out a week after you bought yours, if you needed it then, buy it. If you're buying just for the sake of having the latest and greatest then you are buying your Mac for the wrong reasons. If what's being currently offered fulfills your needs then buy.

Arethusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Well, the firmware update today answered my question. I need a new computer now, and I hate bluray (drm is not my idea of fun). USB3 and a faster graphics card are the only things I'd care about, and I can't wait five months for that.

AnotherFanBoy

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
Nah, wait until tomorrow just in case something changes and then ask us again tomorrow, then the next day and the next day after that...:D

Sounds like a plan. I was going to buy my 13" 2.53 tomorrow night but now I have seen your plan, I will hold off...

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Your point being? :rolleyes:
It's not fact.

So stop parading it like it is.

To the OP:

Grab one now if you need it.

If it does what you want currently, then you'll be fine. It's not going to get slower as time goes on, and it won't be your last computer ever.

Get one and enjoy it. If you sit and wait for another update, you'll wait forever and ever.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
It's not fact.

So stop parading it like it is.

To the OP:

Grab one now if you need it.

If it does what you want currently, then you'll be fine. It's not going to get slower as time goes on, and it won't be your last computer ever.

Get one and enjoy it. If you sit and wait for another update, you'll wait forever and ever.

Err it is fact. Are you saying that you will never see a MBP with Blu-Ray? Talk about backward thinking. :rolleyes:

Benjic

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2007
Madison, WI
The way Apple is looking to be headed with digital media streaming and download services, we may be well past Blu-Ray by the time Apple would have adopted it.

With more and more networks and services offering 1080P streaming media, I'm not planning to purchase a Blu-Ray player at all. As for storage capacities, we'd more likely see something to do with the holographic storage disks coming up recently.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Whats the big deal about having Blu-Ray on a MBP? Who wants to watch a blu-ray movie on a 13"-17" screen? People rarely even hook up their notebooks to their TV to watch DVD's now and I seriously doubt they would if it had blu-ray. I have a PS3 for watching blu-ray movies the new Slim PS3 is only $299, VIZIO just released a $175 blu-ray player that will most likely be $99-$150 during the Christmas shopping season. It's nice to have just for the extra added value but as far as playback is concerned I doubt many people will take advantage of it. You can easily get a DELL notebook for < $1000 that has a blu-ray drive in it for a year now and I doubt many people are using those as players.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.