Should I buy OLD Macbook PRO or NEW Macbook? See Specs Inside!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nirav464, Dec 3, 2008.

1. nirav464 macrumors member

OLD Macbook PRO via MacMall
    15.4" MacBook Pro Glossy Screen - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2GB Memory, 120GB Hard Drive Notebook

PRICE: $1299

OR

The New Lowest Model Macbook, also $1299

Where can I get the most "bang for my buck" (i think that's it)

Comments are welcome.

2. six.four macrumors 6502

The 2.2ghz MBP is from 2007 and uses the older merom CPU and not a good value @ $1300. You can pickup a new early 2008 revision with the penryn CPU + multitouch trackpad + 200gb HD for $1349 at macmall - a much better value and definitely worth your $50. The penryn chip runs significantly cooler and adds 30-40 minutes more battery life.

Macmall MBP

The best value is something you'd have to decide based on your needs, for most people though, I'd say the best bang for you buck (when the difference is $50 for the 2008 penryn MBP) - definitely lies in the MBP.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, go for a refurb 2008 MBP for a combination of best value and best machine. Agree with six.four.

Cheers and good luck

4. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Either of the MBP will give you more bang for the buck. According to Barefeats, the 8600M GT is still significantly faster than the 9400M in 3D games (more than twice better in some cases). Bigger screen. More ports. More expansion. And don't forget that you have the matte option.

Of course, the main downside is that the case design is not as clean or robust and the HDD is a pain to replace. But purely in terms of bang for the buck, the $1350 for a Penryn MBP is a pretty sweet deal.

5. nirav464 thread starter macrumors member

hey thanks so much guy! really appreciated.

and six.four thanks for pointing that option out to me. Honestly I competely missed that $1350 deal on Macmall!

Oh yea do you guys know when the new student discount usually starts?
    (I'm going to college next year)

Thanks SO much!