Should I buy one if...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by garitd, Mar 16, 2010.

1. garitd macrumors newbie

garitd

These are the things I want to do with it.

• biggest reason = google voice
    • maybe skype?
    • is there such a thing as pidgin for the ipod touch? or something like it?
    • can it play my .flac's (this is pretty important)
    • i use linux, will it still work and be worth buying?

?

2. kunal123 macrumors member

You can't use google voice.
    You can download a skype app.
    I don't know.
    It does not support flac.

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

You'll be fine with an iPod Touch, don't waste your money for an iPhone!

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If flac is key then I don't see how a touch suits your needs.

5. garitd thread starter macrumors newbie

garitd

6. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

i dont know if google voice ad google talk are the same thing but with the free Truphone app from the app store you can talk with google talk over wifi. i use it all the time. there is a skype app, havent tried it out. as for pidgin, i know its an instant messenger app for multiple instant messenger clients. i have an app that is just like that. it is called IM+. i believe it is 10 bucks from the app store unless its on sale. it supports all im clients that i know of and supports twitter. i dont know if itunes is compatible with linux. i dont have too much experience with linux so i cant help you there. hope this helps

7. metalhead777 macrumors regular

You can use a similar app, DragonSearch. Basically what you're looking for, only under a different name.
    Skype, I believe, costs money, but don't hold that against me. I don't have it.
    You betcha, there's some apps like that on the AppStore.
    I would not know, but if I find out, then I'll tell you.
    I'm pretty sure that it will work, I know that Apple would not leave out any percentage of its customers. :D :apple:

8. garitd thread starter macrumors newbie

garitd

i made some serious progress here.

first, by a combination of google voice, sipgate and sipsorcery i am now able to make unlimited free calls in and out of my borrowed iphone, 100% over wifi (it doesnt have a sim card)

skype didnt have what i needed. so it got tossed out.

the best app (By FAR!) that i found was a free app called meebo.

if you jailbreak your phone and get an app called vlc4iphone you can play flac's with it. however.. due to quality and glitchy-ness ive lost all interest in using it as a music device.

does it work with linux? not really. i had to use windows to jailbreak it. and so i just used windows to copy over my google contacts as well.

--

conclusion. it works. but not super well and i think its just the OS. even with the added functionality of jailbreaking and using "backgrounder" it wasnt even close to 100% usable. i constantly had to reconnect things. so its cool, i like it. but i dont think im going to buy an iphone or ipod in order to get what i want. im going to keep looking at other similar (but hopefully better) devices.

by the way. DragonSearch has absolutely nothing in common with google voice. i think you might be just a tad confused about what google voice is, and does. but thank you for the reply.

9. metalhead777 macrumors regular

Haha, sorry. Oh wow, I was WAY off. I just thought it was where you speak whatever you want to search and it brings up your results. Sorry about that. :) Yes, meebo is amazing! Glad I could be of some help, haha. :D :apple:

10. garitd thread starter macrumors newbie

garitd

yes i was very impressed with meebo (and that it was free!) it had all the clients i needed and i could hook up to my blog via olark just fine as well. perfect.

11. metalhead777 macrumors regular

I would use it if I ever needed it again. I don't even bother with IM anymore, texting is my new IM, haha. Is there any other apps that you would like to find?

12. garitd thread starter macrumors newbie

garitd

not that i can think of. i just wish it worked better. im not so much interested in new apps as i am in alternatives for a MID that can do what i want. =)

13. metalhead777 macrumors regular

Okay. :) If you have any more questions about the iPod Touch, just send me a PM! I'll be sure to respond to it as soon as I can. :D :apple: