Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krissvl

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Hello, i have a very organised i-tunes library on my Macbook, and i currently play all my **** through frontrow 2.0 into my LCD TV, im worried that doing this all the time is shortening the life of my Macbook as it seems fairly intense work on my harddrives. So here are a few questions.... thanks in advance.

if i take the plunge and get apple tv will my Macbook be releaved of the pressure and keep my macbook a cool temperature???

when using Apple tv can i use my Macbook for other things like using the WiFi to surf the net? or does ATV clog the airwaves?

what other advantages does ATV have over Frontrow 2.0?

Does ATV need to join my home network or does it run on a private network to the Mac?

And i take it that ATV plays anything that Itunes does? as i have all my movies referenced to an external HD so i dont have to encode them to Mpeg Whatever?????

:apple:for life.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
There will almost certainly be a new AppleTV at MacWorld. I'd wait until then, and then I would buy. My experience is that size of the drive is irrelevant as I stream everything and it works great. Occasionally I drop a show or movie on the AppleTV drive and shut down the network, but 40GB is way more than enough IMO.

krissvl

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
There will almost certainly be a new AppleTV at MacWorld. I'd wait until then, and then I would buy. My experience is that size of the drive is irrelevant as I stream everything and it works great. Occasionally I drop a show or movie on the AppleTV drive and shut down the network, but 40GB is way more than enough IMO.

Ah good stuff so when is this macworld event? yeah i wont really require a large harddrive on the actuall ATV. and generally do you have a rough answer to my other questions? like is the networking intense on your mac?

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
You can sync playlists, so you don't have to stream. That way your Mac won't even be on. No airwave concerns either.

Its a nice little device, does what I wanted it to do, so I'm happy. I do think they have really ignored it for some reason. We got one update for youtube and that was it. (Actually two, but who's counting).

We'll see what comes out next.

krissvl

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Ok maybe ill get one, im just concerned because i use reference files in Itunes as all my films and Tv shows are on an external harddrive and use reference files to cross them over to itunes without re-encoding them to itunes format. so if i sync the playlists will ATV still receive the full file or the reference file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.