Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkaria19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
It's my birthday today. For my birthday I have received some money from lot of family and it adds up to about £200.

My parents are persuading me to buy an iPhone as my Samsung Galaxy S has been frustrating me for ages. I am a lover of all things Apple but just haven't been able to afford an iPhone. Currently own a MacBook Pro 13" (latest) and iPod Touch (4th gen).

There is no doubt an iPhone would help me. iCal, Mail, iCloud and many more are so important to me. Approaching the end of my degree in May and hoping to work in the television and radio industry. It's just a case of buying the right one at the right time? E.g. don't want to have an iPhone 4S when there is a possibility of a new iPhone later this year.

By the time I save up the extra money for an iPhone 4S (£499 from Apple) it will be June time, possibly July. Note I can't do a contract. I'm currently on a 12 month sim only contract with T-Mobile with 600 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet for £10 a month (can't go wrong I guess).

I know it's pointless to speculate but should I "wait for the next iPhone"? I like the iPhone 4S but I guess a next iPhone model would be a huge difference.

What advice would you give me?

Thanks all.

rkaria19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
The 4S is 5 months old.

New one isn't due until 7 months from now.

Are you ok with waiting that long?

Possibly? I've had my Samsung Galaxy S for one and a half years now and it's been bugged up for the last 6 months, so I guess so?

How do we know 7 months?

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Possibly? I've had my Samsung Galaxy S for one and a half years now and it's been bugged up for the last 6 months, so I guess so?

How do we know 7 months?

Because september is usually around the time when they refresh the iphone, honestly I think the current one is excellent and I would buy now especially when your phone is giving you problems but in the end its your choice anyways :)

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

How do we know 7 months?

There is no chance that the next iPhone will appear this summer. No chance. Apple will not release a new iPhone less than 12 months after their last unveiling.

You can bank on a new iPhone come September/October. I would immediately get a 4S if I were you. I don't know what your carrier situation is or the resale situation in the UK, but you could always potentially sell your 4S this fall and get the latest iPhone if you desire. No need to hold onto a buggy Android device if you don't need to.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Because september is usually around the time when they refresh the iphone, honestly I think the current one is excellent and I would buy now especially when your phone is giving you problems but in the end its your choice anyways :)

You are wrong. All the previous iPhones came out june or july and ONLY the 4S came out in October.

Todisco

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Pull the trigger

If you had the iPhone 4 I would insist on waiting...from an Android phone to 4S you need to pull the trigger and move to Apple.

Just my opinion - :apple:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Noone knows how much the new iPhone will cost sim free yet.

Their are high street shops in the Uk that deal in used phones.
These have been sold by their original owner, tested before accepting it and comes with their own 12month warranty ontop of what apple give.

Ive purchased from these before with no issues.

If your interested then pm me and i will advise you of their name and website.

Perhaps you could buy an iPhone 4 which are cheaper than the 4s.

The 4s will give you the new processor chip which increases the speed a little, better spec camera than that of the 4, and of course the much advertised siri.

Or bite the bullet and buy the 4s for £499 from apple.

I personally do not buy from auction sites for the all too obvious reasons.

In the end if one waited for whats new out around the corner then one would never make a purchase at all !

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I'd wait unless your current phone is completely non-functional, besides you already answered your question, You stated, "Don't want to have an iPhone 4S when there is a possibility of a new iPhone later this year." There will be one this year.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
You are wrong. All the previous iPhones came out june or july and ONLY the 4S came out in October.

Dear Jordan, thank you for pointing out a mistake, next time phrasing it slightly nicer instead of saying you are wrong there are nicer ways of saying it :)

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
I don't know the level of frustration you have towards the Galaxy... If its bugging you to the point you want to pull your hair out and smash it then I would buy the 4S now. If not, then waiting for the new one will be better in the long run.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I know it's pointless to speculate but should I "wait for the next iPhone"? I like the iPhone 4S but I guess a next iPhone model would be a huge difference.

What advice would you give me?

Thanks all.

If you want a new iPhone, you should go ahead and buy it. Go ahead and get something that you will enjoy right now. The 4S is the best iPhone so far. You won't regret it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.