Should i buy or wait for new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kamil.amersi, Mar 28, 2012.

  1. kamil.amersi macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    #1
    Hi all,

    i am in a bit of a dilemma; i was looking at a new MBP but i heard that there may be a new one released pretty soon with the Ivy Bridge, do you think i should buy it now or hold off until the new one will be released? is it likely to be a significant upgrade or just a spec bump?
     
  2. iArrudaG macrumors regular

    iArrudaG

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2009
    #2
    This might help.

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
     
  3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #3
    If you don't know if you need it now, then wait.
     
  4. Ves macrumors member

    Ves

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    Location:
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    #4
    This has been asked a thousand times and it simply comes down to this

    If you need it now, you buy it. If you don't, then wait.
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    Please use a search, this question has been asked a thousand times.

    To summarize, if you can wait, then wait. If you need one now, buy one now.
     
  6. phillytim macrumors 6502a

    phillytim

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2011
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #6
    These really are the most annoying questions!
     
  7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #7
    But remember, if you wait for a new one, there will be another new one coming. Might want to wait again :)
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Of course but you're waiting for about a year at that point, where is if you wait for the Ivy Bridge model, we're talking mere months ;)
     
  9. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

    Ohrstrom

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2012
    Location:
    Sweden
    #9
    And maybe not even that, be optimistic, damnit! :p
     
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    I'm a moderator, I've been ground down to complete cynicism :p

    in all honesty it would be great if we see an Ivy Bridge refresh sooner then later. I've been waiting since Christmas. While my trusty 2010 13" MBP is handling what I throw at it. I'd like a bit more performance and a larger screen, i.e., 15" MBP. My thinking is why spend over 2K on a chipset (sandy bridge) that will get replaced shortly, since I have no immediate need for a replacement.
     
  11. mbamed macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    #11
    The best course of action, if you need one now, is to buy a used one to hold you over, then resell shortly before you buy the new one.
     
  12. idunn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2008
    #12
    Do wait

    Chances are the new MBP will be a significant upgrade, not, as with the last several iterations, more a spec bump.

    As they should be released soon, by most every criteria it would be advisable to delay a purchase until then. Unless one wishes a new MBP with an internal optical drive (which the new models will probably no longer have), and even then one should wait, as the current models will cost less once new models are released.

    If needing the computer now, it would surely be advisable to purchase something used. Buying that new today, and selling it on in a few months time, includes a decided price penalty for that privilege. A used MBP, particularly those refurbished by Apple, will be perfectly serviceable, and someone else will have paid the price of walking it off the new car lot.

    In reading some of the related threads on this forum, you are sure to learn of the anticipated advantages of the upcoming MBPs, including: Ivy Bridge processors, more speed, likely better GPU, the advantages derived from no optical drive, and not least a good chance for a stylish new case redesign, more like the current MacBook Air. Screen resolution may also increase, as well as other looked for improvements.

    Why would one want to pass on that? And, if so, then in not opting for sound savings with that used, but otherwise just fine?
     
  13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #13
    Quad core Mobiles due to be released April 29. Intel just announced today.
     
  14. Ferny84 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #14
    "If you need it now, you buy it. If you don't, then wait. "

    That should be Apples motto.
     
  15. Digidesign macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2002
    #15
    Any ideas on how April 29th affects the MBP refresh date? Does Apple wait until the chips are available to the public before releasing their new systems?
     
  16. squeakr macrumors 68000

    squeakr

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #16
    Do you have any references to this other than the rumor sites (not questioning your information, I have just been trying to verify this since I read it earlier)? I read this earlier today and have been unable to find an "official" press release stating it? Nothing on Intel's site either. Hoping it is true (if for nothing else, it will stop the should I buy now posts).
     
  17. kathryn27 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2012
    #17
    Good question! I just bought a refurb high-end 13" MBP, but it was a really good deal. Now I may be peeved if the prices drop in a month :( But I was silly and became aware of this forum after I had already ordered.

    On the one hand, the current MPB model is reliable and and has proven its success, so I think either way you're fine.
     
  18. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #18
    This work for you? Industry site reference with all specs.

    http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012032702_Revised_Ivy_Bridge_launch_schedule_confirmed.html
     
  19. squeakr macrumors 68000

    squeakr

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #19
    I saw that, but was really hoping for an official Intel statement, as that is what all of the rumor sites are saying. They all state iIntel announced today but all point to the same article that only states it will be announced on April 8 and no mention of an official Intel announcement recently.
     
  20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #20
    There's an internal PDF, I can't post it due to NDA problems.. I rather like my job :)

    But I can say that it would be probably correct to say that info matches the PDF verbatim.
     
  21. squeakr macrumors 68000

    squeakr

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #21
    Thanks for the info, and I am not asking for anyone to break an NDA. It is just if Intel did in fact officially announce today it would be public. So technically there was no "official" announcement yet, then, correct?
     
  22. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #22
    Absolutely correct. It was a leaked internal document that was distributed to the hands of manufacturers and a small number of media outlets. All of which were under NDA agreement that I'm aware of.

    Think of it as a memo to their partners updating them with timelines but destined for the manufacturing channel rather than the media (ie: NOT a press release)
     
  23. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #23
    I thought Ivy Bridge was due out on the 8th of April (which would of been next Sunday)
     
  24. njean777 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #24
    if you need one now get it, if you don't wait.
     
  25. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #25
    You should have done a search for threads on the topic. Just searching "buy or wait" brings up several pages in 2012 alone. No one can offer you precise information on release dates. The other stuff has been discussed in great detail already.
     

Share This Page