Should I buy or wait plz help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Beji, May 6, 2014.

  1. Beji macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2014
    Hi I am in a dilemma the problem is I just lost my computer and i need a new one the programs I am probably going to use is:
    -Maya or Modo (Blender 3D until I get enough money for one of the programs)
    -FL Studio or Logic
    and maybe Photoshop and After Effect
    I plan on buying an IMac 27" but I heard rumors about Apple are going to release a new IMac soon so my quistion is would it be dumb if I bought an IMac now I plan on using it for the next 5-6 years. I don´t know much about how computers work so it is hard for me to take the decision cause i don´t know how big of a different there normelly is between the releases.
    (And if you mean I could just buy one now what graphic card and processor would you mean would fit my needs the most)

    I really hope there is someone out there who can help me :)
  2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

    Feb 17, 2013
    Current cycle is November. If you need one, get it.
  3. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

    Jul 9, 2008
    cherry point
    last statement is untrue, just because it happened once doesn't make it the current cycle.

    If you can hold off until after the first week of June. If nothing is announced or released (more than likely a small cpu bump, and a gpu up to 880m). If nothing is announced then, they will more than likely come out in september-novemember time frame and will still have the same bumps as mentioned above.

    either way the current or the next will last you forever! the 780m is a great card as well as the 880m but the 880m is pretty much a rebranded 780m with 8gb RAM instead of the 4gb seen in the 780m. I am currently waiting anxiously to buy a maxed out 27'' myself and am forcing myself to wait till June.
  4. iMcLovin macrumors 68000


    Feb 11, 2009
    Im waiting. But im not in desperate need of a new.
    I would consider if twice the videoram or slightly faster cpu would make any difference for you, if not, just buy. For most people it wont do any difference.

    If you are working hard in after effects though, twice the videoram is good. But thats just because after effects is badly optimized, sadly.
    For the 3d programs you mention you wont notice much.

    I suspect its gonna come in a month or so, because it will just be a slight speed bump, therefore no reason for apple to wait till the current hardware is old. And average 250 days is what apple usually do when there's no redesign, if you look at the buyers guide. And the current iMac is 230 days old all ready.
  5. tosh.macin macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2014

    Just FYI, Blender is fine for 99% of things. Don't waste your $ on the other programs.
  6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

    Oct 21, 2013
    Apple doesn't typically update graphics unless they upgrade processors as well. I would get a refurbished 2012 iMac. The gtx 680mx/1TB Fusion/8 GB/i7 model is 1949$. It just dropped from 2000$. It will be the best bang for your buck. The graphics are dead even with the 780m, and the Ivy Bridge processor is comprable in performance to Haswell. The Fusion drive is the number one upgrade to get, and this is the cheapest model with it. The SSD is SATA instead of PCIE, but there will not be much of a real world difference. It also has the exact same externals as the 2013 iMac.

    Almost all rumors of an iminent iMac refresh are based around a budget model, most likely for schools. I wouldn't expect the 800 series graphics chips until Fall. Apple typically refreshes with new CPUs, because of their tight connection with Intel, and cares very little about new GPUs. The 2012 iMac above will be an absolute beast. It has user upgradeable RAM, so you can purchase more online pretty cheap if your work requires it. For 1949$, a new iMac at that price would perform worse, and I'm almost positive that it will be true for the 2014 refresh as well.

    If you are that worried about a refresh, wait until June. I really doubt they will have a refresh then, but I honestly can't say anything for sure about a refresh. If you weren't planning on getting the maxed out version anyways, just get the refurb model. You will love it.

  7. rambo47 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 3, 2010
    Denville, NJ
    I don't think the iMac lineup is due for an imminent upgrade. And when they do upgrade it, I think it's likely to be a minor bump in specs, not a major upgrade. Buy now, max out the RAM, and enjoy!

Share This Page