should I buy or wait.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bluedenim, Nov 15, 2011.

  1. bluedenim macrumors newbie

    Oct 13, 2011
    I recently sold my 2007 macbook pro.
    I have the 27 inch imac
    I also sold my sony vaio

    I want the macbook air for two purposes. My partner will use it mainly for surfing and email.....and we will use it as a travel computer. he wants the 13 inch version as opposed to the 11 inch version because of using it all the time.

    Personally for travel I would rather the 11 inch model but willing to go up to the 13 under the circumstances.

    I use my iphone and imac as my main computer.

    Now I read somethign about apple mergine the air and the pro? Is this something I should wait for?
    I guess I am just a bit worried that by merging the two the size and weight will increase and the price will go up.

    So wondering if I should wait or not.

    I am also hoping that there are some black friday deals on the air.
  2. Vudoo macrumors 6502a


    Sep 30, 2008
    Dallas Metroplex
    There are rumors that the MacBook Pros will be redesigned next year. But the biggest impact will be on the 15" which won't really affect you when you prefer something smaller. My wife has the 13" Air and I think it's perfect for travel.
  3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a


    Aug 29, 2011
    The 13 inch works ok for watching movies on an airplane ( and light computer work ) but if you were doing a serious amount of typing on an airplane the 11 inch would be better. If flying first class then the 13 inch would be just peachy.

    If you are not talking strictly about working on an airplane ( or train I guess ) then the 13 inch is great for travel and works better for doing remote work via VPN etc.

    The change most anticipated around here is a 15 inch macbook air.

    If that is too big for you then then 13 mba is an excellent choice ( and what I have ).

    Yes probably some deals on black friday ... there are already always educational discounts right now if you have a student somewhere in the family.
  4. Xikum macrumors 6502

    Oct 19, 2011
    If you need it now, buy it. There next update is a while away, and the only things that will change about the 11/13" are the processors (I imagine).

    If you ask me, buy whatever you think is best now. I personally use a 13" for my travels to university and back, and its a brilliant portable device.
  5. plumosa macrumors regular


    Mar 17, 2007
    The processors will be updated to Ivy Bridge which will hopefully improve battery life a great deal because that is my only complaint about my MBA 11" Forget about having it last an entire international flight or long cross-country one when the battery only lasts 3 hours.

    If you can wait until April I would wait for Ivy Bridge, but if you have travels coming up its a harder decision. FWIW, the 11" fits perfectly on a airplane tray with room for a drink, and I don't find the screen to be too small---its oddly bigger than my old 12" powerbook.
  6. vitzr macrumors 68030


    Jul 28, 2011
    Currently I have both 11" & 13" MBA's.

    For air travel it's purely a personal decision. Either work quite nicely. My preference is the 13" since it requires less scrolling with it's larger viewing area. Yet if you prefer the 11" form factor you will be delighted as well.

Share This Page