Should I buy.. Or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sonia1234321, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. sonia1234321, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. LinMac macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #2
    Buy it if you need it or if you don't like playing the waiting game. There are 1000 theories about when the refresh will happen and 100,000 theories about what the refresh will bring. :D
     
  3. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Location:
    graphite clamshell
    #3
    It will be at least another month before they get updated. If you buy an updated one right away, you'll probably have to wait two or three weeks before you're all set and using it. (unless you're just waiting for the price drop on the 2.4 GHz machine -- then your wait will be only a week)

    so how badly do you need to wait? Is there anything that you simply can't tolerate in the current version of the Macbook that you're eyeing? Do you really want to wait two or three months?

    I waited and bought mine on the day of the price drop (May 15, 2007), so the wait for me was about the $200, not about the 10% faster clock speed.
     
  4. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #4
    Yeah, I hate the waiting game. But, if something awesome (that I would want to use) comes out even like 2 months after I buy it, I would kick myself in the face and shall be quite pissed.

    This is so confusing!
     
  5. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #5
    Hmm... Well, I don't mind the price, though a price drop would be nice. I am planning to buy the 2.4 GHz white model (would get the BlackBook, but don't really care about the extra HD space).

    There isn't really anything that I would LIKE to see in the future MacBook, but I'm just the kind of person that hates it if even something remotely awesome(?) comes out.

    I wouldn't mind if they changed the outer look of the MacBook, but I would like it if maybe they upgraded the specs (same price though)...
     
  6. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #6
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that my local Bestbuy (I'm Canadian:)) has a deal on every Mac that you get free iWork, Airport Express, and a printer. I know Apple has a special deal as well, but I already have an iPod Touch, and I don't think my school is taking part in the educational discount thing.
     
  7. The Hammer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
  8. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #8
    But I despise the waiting game :(

    and, I don't know if the little retarded monkey here will last that long :/
     
  9. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #9
    Conference in October? Says who?

    If you need now, buy, if not, wait.

    There's nothing wrong with the current MacBook. It's selling very well, too.

    Personally, if I was in the market for a MacBook, I'd probably wait, but that's because I'm a pretty die-hard Mac fan :)
     
  10. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #10
    hmm should I buy... or wait until I have the money!?
     
  11. aneftp macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #11
    Just look at the current buying guide on this message board. The current generation macbooks were last updated at the end of Feb. 2008. So we are going on month 6 of the current cycle.

    I suggest you wait (if you one of those who like the greatest/lastest devices). There should be an update within the next 60-90 days, maybe a little sooner. Once the new updates come, just buy it. Just do not be fickle if Apple only gives the Macbook a minor processor update and ask the same question ("should I wait") again when the update comes.

    So buy one if your laptop will die and you absolutely need it for school. If you can hang on for another 60-90 days, than that's what I recommend you should do.
     
  12. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #12
    Hmm... If Apple comes out with new MacBooks, will the old ones still be sold? I want to wait, but I'm really impatient and waiting 2-3 months murders me. At the same time, I want to just not care and freakin' get one already! I mean, if my laptop dies, I could still use my downstairs computer (eww Vista), but it would be inconvenient since my sister hogs it all the time, and that Vista is a b^$#%. I also want to get started on learning the new OS ASAP... OMG I am so indecisive! :confused: Maybe guys know what they want better... I am also seriously addicted to computers/intranetz and I go crazy if I can't go on it or I don't go on it enough.

    AHHH!
     
  13. passingXstorm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
  14. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #14
    YES! I want to! But now, there are people telling me to wait, and people telling me to buy it!

    ARGHHHH!, how can one do both at the same time? :(

    I want to buy it, but I want to wait. :confused:
     
  15. Abhorred macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #15
    With lots of money and a desire for punishment. And if you have the money to buy two, then a crystal wine glass, stylish top hat and monocle are also acceptable accessories.

    And, no, guys don't know what we want (insofar as MacBooks are concerned) any more than the ladyfolk. We all use the same, gender-neutral currency, and piles of us - myself included - are currently torn between buying now and waiting. Our misery is shared.
     
  16. Maxington macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 11, 2007
    Location:
    Oshkosh, WI
    #16
    As many others have said...

    Buy if you NEED it now, but wait until Oct if you can.

    If you buy today you won't be upset :)
     
  17. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #17
    Well if I did buy it, it would be at around the end of August. Would Apple by any chance upgrade it by then? :)
     
  18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #18
    Since we don't know, no.

    September 16th is the best bet at this point.
     
  19. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #19
    Hmm... September 16th isn't that bad. If this was the date, it would definately be worth waiting for something awesome (upgraded specs are good too!)! :D
     
  20. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    #20
    I can't stop laughing at this, i never heard a computer referred to as a retarded monkey:D:D:D:D:D LOL
     
  21. danielpicasso macrumors member

    danielpicasso

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #21
    to chocolates point... i was laughing at the retarded monkey line as well.....
    I have the same question. Will they still offer the refurb mac books?
     
  22. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #22
    Hehe, me neither :p

    I just woke up one day and decided to call it that ;)
     
  23. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #23
    Wait (another question), if Apple DID upgrade the specs, would they just maybe upgrade the RAM, and hard drive since there are no new Intel processors?

    And I also read that the metal on MacBook Pros interfere with the WiFi sometimes... That would be a problem because I hugely depend on (pretty) long distance WiFi...
     
  24. Edmonal macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    #24
    I'm going to wait, if only to see if there is a discount on the older products.
     
  25. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #25
    GAAAH! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

    Has Apple no mercy?! :(
     

Share This Page