Should I buy original iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tthip, Sep 12, 2015.

1. tthip macrumors member

I want to buy my two kids each an 'original' mini for Christmas (see link) and would like to know if it is still worth it.
    The are 8&9 and only play Minecraft, Terraria, YouTube and stuff like that. I see them at Walmart right now for $199 a piece and that is what I would like to spend over a mini 2 at $270 each.
    Should I do it? Are the updates going to be unsupported soon on the mini?
    Thank you very much

http://www.walmart.com/browse/elect...ModuleZone&athmtid=AthenaPOVStory&athena=true

2. acastic macrumors regular

I honestly wouldn't buy anything with an A5 processor at this point in time. If you can swing the mini 2, it would last a lot longer.

3. zachlegomaniac, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

It would be throwing away your money if it has anything beyond iOS 7 IMO. I have one, and my personal experience was that it really didn't function well at once I upgraded to iOS 8 last September.

4. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

the iPad mini 1 has fewer pixels to push so it won't suffer as bad as people say provided the upgraded iOS software is limited in some way.

5. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

6. cdm283813 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't get the first mini even if its $100. Actually I wouldn't even buy it because the tech dates back to iPad 2 days.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'd wait a few weeks and see if the iPad Mini 2 gets a price drop. It has the A7 chip which is 2 years newer than what the original Mini has.

For me personally, my original Mini is showing its age. Lots of annoying tab reloading.

If you're going to buy a brand new device, at least get something that will be supported longer in terms of OS and hardware. The Mini 1 is old at this point and not worth a $200 price tag.

8. i97ww4 macrumors newbie

ipad mini 1 is very slow.

but even so, it has best battery life among all ipads, and best form factor (similar to ipad mini 4).

my ipad mini 2 gets warm very quickly after 10 mins use. Ipad mini 1 never had such issue either.

9. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

With the iPad Mini 3 axed from the iPad lineup, expect retailers to have discounts soon. This week Target has them for $299 this week and for $30 more than an iPad Mini 2 you get TouchID on a iPad Mini 3..but hey you did say it was for kids so that feature may not matter. OR you could get a iPad Mini 2 with more storage for just a few bucks more.

10. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

No way Jose. I would till November when the Black Friday sales are going on and go for the Mini 2. It will be a better investment to go for the newer models. Believe me you'll be saving your kids and yourself a headache.

11. newellj macrumors 603

No. It's simply too little hardware for any price.

12. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I never had any problems with the performance on my 1st gen mini. But I stopped updating after 8.1.1 so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I do think it's faster than it was on iOS 7. It's still pretty snappy aside from some larger web pages obviously.

That being said, I would recommend the Mini 2. $270 is a pretty good price. If they're kids and all they're going to do is play games, Alternatively you could get them a Kindle Fire tablet or iPod Touch 6th generation.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like others, I wouldn't buy an original mini it is just too outdated.

14. profets macrumors 68040

I know its tough if you have a budget, but you should really try to go for the mini 2. For $70 you're getting a device that's 2 generations newer. It'll easily last a few years longer. Imagine, by next spring the original iPad mini will be running on 5 year old hardware.

My kids have been using my older iPad 2 and an original iPad mini. They still work ok, but they're really showing their age. Buying one now you won't get many years out of it.

15. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

No unless you want your kids to suffer. Get iPad Mini 2 as a minimum and they go for about $150 on Craigslist.

16. newellj macrumors 603

Think of it this way: would you buy an A5 device today?

17. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I have an original mini and it lags like crazy, thinking about upgrading to th mini 4

18. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I've been using my original Mini for the past 3 years. After IOS 7 it became slow and now with IOS 8 it is downright unpleasant.

I just ordered my Mini4 today and wouldn't give my original to anyone, even as a present.

Don't buy it!

19. newellj macrumors 603

It would probably be ok as an e-reader, but the battery life wouldn't be as good as a Kindle. I'm not trying to be snarky, it's just old hardware.

20. laffnvegas macrumors regular

laffnvegas

Because you are buying it for an 8 and 9 year old, they will be thrilled and the savings will be good. I still have my iPad first edition and it is fine by next weekend it will belong to my husband because I am getting the new 4. I would wait a few weeks and see if the price drops more from Walmart with the release of the 4 . My only suggestion would be to purchase this one from Apple rather than from Walmart where being refurbished from Apple makes more sense. The only reason to buy from Walmart would be if you had a credit card from them and needed to purchase from them or had credit. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FF432LL/A/refurbished-ipad-mini-with-wi-fi-16gb-space-gray
    Otherwise I think the original would be fine at 8 and 9 yrs old they will more thrill with getting one than worrying about how fast it is.. When they get older then you can invest in the more up to date version.

21. GaryNoine macrumors member

GaryNoine

Mini 1 lags too much, I've seen a friend's not even open certain recently developed apps and games properly, as they are not compatible with the device. This would be a problem if you/anyone else is using updated and new apps. Mini 2 would be a better investment for you

22. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I'm with most of the others. Since you are buying it for a Christmas gift, you have time. Sure they will be thrilled with anything, but at age 8 and 9, they have a lot of snap about this type of electronics than you think. The Mini 2 will be marked way down on black Friday. Make that your plan.

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Wait for a price cut of the 2 or 3 gen. The A5 chips will likely see games dropping support for it in later updates, meaning as early as next week because developers have a lot of problems with it. There are some games that don't currently support it even.

Performance is on a per game basis. Terraria is great on it, Safari got stuck on me this evening though. Still, you're going to invest into something that won't see iOS 10, and like I said, developers will one by one stop releasing stuff for it.

24. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

25. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

gosh... i'm still using an original ipad mini and I still love it very much!

maybe because I have no other ipad to compare it to.... I don't consider it slow.... I have the latest ios on it (and I read somewhere that ios 9 should make it run better? can't remember whey I read it... probably on here somewhere? or what the reason was?)

I haven't had any issues with any apps YET.....

having said that.... if you are getting these as Christmas gifts... i'm willing to bet that the mini 2 will be available around black Friday for cheap if you're willing to wait and buy them then!