Should I buy OSX now? 1st gen Macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by levi-mac, Sep 16, 2010.

1. levi-mac macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a first generation Macbook and want to upgrade the operating system from Tiger. In your opinion, should I buy the Snow Leopard box set now or wait for the next version of OSX? Do you think that the next version will not run as well on my machine?

Thanks!

2. sup3r1or macrumors regular

IS that an Intel Mac? I think I head SL does not support G4 but may be I'm wrong.

I think you should, because the upgrade disk is very cheap. Since Snow Leopard was an update rather than a completely new OSX release, its cheaper so I think it is worth the upgrade. Next version will come out but no one knows when so just sitting and waiting for unknown period of time is weird if you ask me.

Go ahead and get that 30$ cd, It will definitely benefit you and ur MAc

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Buy Snow Leopard and max out the RAM on your machine.

4. levi-mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! It's an intel. I think the cheap upgrade is supposed to be meant for users of Leopard. Since I have Tiger I think they want me to buy the Snow Leopard box set that comes with ilife and iworks for like $170.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Just buy the "upgrade" disk - it is a full install disk and save the money for iLife 11 which should be out very soon. Put 2GB ram in your MacBook (that is the max) and you will be fine.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I think Tiger is going to give you the best performance for the model that you currently own. With Leopard and Snow Leopard, apple added a lot of bulk. Newer machines could handle it, but given that you have a core duo and the intel GPU, I believe you're better off with 10.4

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

That's funny. I found SL to be faster on my MB which has 2GB of RAM and a less than blazing processor.

8. seb-opp macrumors 6502

the first gen was a core duo which is only 32bit so the improvements you get from 64bit will not be available to you. Nevertheless, as an owner of a tiger and snow leopard machine i can say the latter is a great improvement

9. scuac macrumors member

scuac

Hi levi-mac,

I have the first gen intel macbook too (Core Duo , not Core 2 duo). since I bought it back in 2006, I have made three changes to it since then:
    Added RAM
    Added a bigger HDD
    Installed Snow Leopard

the machine is working now better than ever. I highly recommend the SL upgrade, it is cheap and it is a much leaner OS that Tiger (plus you get Time Machine!).

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

Snow Leopard is Intel only.

11. unwinded macrumors regular

SL runs quite well on my friend's '07 blackbook which is only one generation beyond yours. The updated GUI is not as smooth as Tiger, but aesthetics aside I recommend it. I agree that you should max out the ram though. Buy two 2gig sticks off newegg - 667mhz DDR2 SODIMMS. $36 apiece. System will only see 3 gigs because it's 32-bit, but this way it runs in dual channel which is important for the integrated video (less important for a discreet card)

12. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Hi there

My MBP core duo works great with SL. Go for it and max your RAM to 2GB!

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

First gen MacBooks are limited to 2gb of ram total. They won't boot with a 2gb stick installed.

14. unwinded macrumors regular

You're right, sorry bout that. Core Duo Macs are firmware limited to 2 GBs. Should still run great with SL