Should I buy ~~> PB G3 for $100?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OrangeSVTguy, Mar 28, 2008.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Found this but is it worth $100? I've seen them upgraded go for well over $400. What are the stock ones worth?

4gb HDD
    It's got 2 good batteries and AC adapters
    CD drive and ZIP
    Good over physical and working condition
    Running 9.5?

I have an extra 30gb hdd from my old ibook iframe project. And extra memory, assuming they take pc133 sodimm modules? So I can start from there, maybe add a combo/super drive too

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

What kind of PowerBook G3 is it - Pismo, Lombard, Wallstreet? And/or what is the processor speed? :)

3. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i'd say only get it if it's got firewire. pismo was the last g3 powerbook, the first powerbook to have firewire and, later, the ability to run osx (slowly).

EDIT: i stand corrected-- all the g3s except the first set can run osx, but different maximum versions. apple-history.com is a great resource.

oh, and he says "good" batteries? don't hold your breath. these batteries were produced 6 years ago at best. it's rare to see a 6 year old battery hold any charge even if kept well, let alone hold a charge big enough to run the machine for 10 minutes.

4. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I'd jump on this deal in a minute. I had a lombard and it was an excellent computer. Max our the ram, throw the latest version of OS X on there that it can handle (10.3?) and it will be good surfing, writing machine. I loved the rubbery casing and the screen was awesome!

Good luck!

Coachingguy

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

i wouldn't buy it, but that's because i wouldn't have any practical use for it. i briefly used a g3 ibook as my sole machine last fall, and i see no need to see such days again.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The G3 Wallstreets are nice machines. Mine is used daily.