Should I buy Penryn Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonlong, Jun 18, 2008.

1. jonlong macrumors newbie

This is my first post here, but I have been doing extensive reading over various threads here regarding the Macbook Pro.

A little background info:
    I have been building and using PC's for several years and am in need of a new laptop. I currently have a very powerful desktop PC, but want a full featured laptop. I will be starting law school in July and need a laptop for my classes. I decided on a Macbook Pro (15", 2.4ghz penryn) because I need something that is portable enough to carry around every day, but powerful enough to be a primary computer when I am away from home. This will be my first Mac and I am very excited about using OS-X.

And my questions/concerns:
    I have been doing a lot of research lately and have come across many troubling issues that people are having with the Macbook Pro's. The ones that are the most widespread are the LED backlighting issues, the yellowish screens, and the omission of letters due to faulty keyboards. Should I be wary of purchasing a Macbook Pro? I have not followed Apple's notebooks until just recently, but are these issues common with Apple and easily remedied? How easy is it to have a notebook exchanged for a new one in-store if I am having one of these problems? I know that there are no definitive answers to these questions, but any insight would be much appreciated.

I need a little more confidence in Apple before investing $2000 into a product that could be nothing but trouble.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Unless you are going to be doing something which requires a dedicated video card I think you should get a MacBook instead. So that means that if you do hardcore gaming, video editing or 3D modelling, get the Pro.

The regular MacBook (especially the black one) benefits from a far superior design to the Pro. It is much more durable and is essentially the same computer as the Pro too - it is just as powerful. I also like the size and the keyboard is much, much better on the MacBook.

3. jonlong thread starter macrumors newbie

I have considered the regular Macbook, but I prefer the Pro for several reasons. Dedicated graphics are a plus because I want to be able to use it for some gaming when I am away from my desktop. I also prefer the screen of the Pro the regular Macbook, as it provides a little more real estate and is brighter. Finally, I tried both keyboards and while both feel good, the Pro feels more comfortable to me. My student discount also narrows the price difference between the two.

If, however, the MBP is doomed to a failing display and keyboard, then the Macbook is certainly a viable alternative. I just don't want to spend $1400 on a "compromise".

4. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

One thing to keep in mind is that you will hear from every tom, dick, and harry that has a problem with their computer, but you don't hear from the hundreds of thousands of people who have never had a single issue with their mac. So while a very slim number of people have had issues i would say don't be concerned because chances are you will never have any issues with your mac! furthermore invest in applecare because if you ever do have an issue you will be covered fully. Enjoy your new Mac!!

5. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Whilst it is evident that you don't necessarily need the power of a Macbook Pro - don't let the vocal minority in here give you the impression that the Macbook Pro is something with faults. It's not. It's an amazing computer and with millions sold you can be sure that millions of them do not have problems.

If you have any doubts I suggest you make your decision which computer without this as a 'fear factor'. If you can happily afford it and you want a Macbook Pro for it's great power and superior video card, led backlit keyboard and other numerous advantages then either go see one in an Apple store or buy one from apple.com and if it's not utterly perfect simply return it on the 14 day return policy.

You really have NOTHING to lose in at least buying the computer you want and trying it at home...you do, however, have something significant to lose in not trying it - and that's the joy and pleasure of these great computers.

Macbook Pro is my personal favorite mac to date - and I've had a few ( to say the least). I'd be amazed if you weren't blown away by it - even if you don't need all it's power!

6. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

agreed - there are a lot of squeaky wheels around here (and i dont mean that in a condescending way - simply that when someone has a problem with their computer, they tend to search for a community of people who have some insight or (unfortunately) share the problem)...

I am 99.99% planning on buying a MBP in the fall (before the ipod deal is over), and have no reservations despite the random problems some people are having b/c i trust that apple will make things right if i am one of the unlucky ones who gets a lemon...we all hope we are on the tail that gets the supercomputer that never has a problem, but more likely we'll end up in the middle somewhere, happily enjoying our computer for its average lifespan (this written from an 8 year old g4 AGP tower that i love, but since it cant run XP and ESRI GIS software, i'm looking MBP).

I realize there are a few out there that have had repeated problems...but these appear to be in the minority...some may argue differently, but apple isn't thriving b/c their computers are junk...the ipod/iphone has certainly helped, as has the fanboy brand loyalty, but they are very solid to amazing machines...

7. jonlong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the encouraging responses. I will be going to the Apple store to buy a MBP within the next two weeks and I'll deal with any issues if/when they arise.

I am looking forward to OS-X!!

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

It is strongly recommended that you wait for Mac OS X Snow Leopard to come out. :eek:

[/joke]

9. kabunaru Guest

Congratulations for choosing a Mac. :)

10. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

And isn't that new processor coming out soon? I think it's called Montevina? Hmmm. I'd wait.

That's the problem with the rumors. Just get it when you feel comfortable buying, and enjoy it!

11. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

wait? You will wait forever. Get it when you need it, ignore the product cycles unless they are only a week away or so.

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan