Should I buy refurb iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nobita, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

http://store.apple.com/au/product/FB531ZP/A?mco=MTA4MzQzMTY

the price is pretty good, AU$279 (= US$258) which is a AU$140 discount from what it was previously. In addition, does this come with OS 3.1?

the reason why i want an ipod touch is because i don't have a lot of phone bills per month, so if i get a 2-year contract i don't want to get caught paying bills for things i don't use. do any of you think this is a valid reason?

2. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is a valid reason. In fact that's the reason for most people who choose the iPod touch over the iPhone. But no, it doesn't come with 3.1.

3. tenand2indy macrumors member

But you can upgrade to 3.1 for $4.95 US still, unless that's changed already.

4. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

So I will only get 3.1 if I buy the new one, not the refurbished one? Got it. Refurb one will still be cheaper though because as tenand mentioned it is only US$5 or maybe AU$10 in my country.

5. richardhunt macrumors regular

Honestly for AU$399.00 (AU$120.00) more than the 2nd gen 16GB touch, you can get the 32GB 3rd Gen Touch with double the storage memory, a faster processor, faster graphics, and more internal memory (Ram as opposed to flash memory). Eventually there will be apps which will require the faster processor and faster graphics available in the 32GB and 64GB gen 3 Ipod touch. I'd spend the extra AU$120.00 and be a bit more future proof.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'd pay a little more for more memory and faster processor. I have a 32gb iPod touch 3g and I kinda wish I forked up the extra $100 for more room lol. IMO 8gb would not be enough if you're planning to jailbreak and add music+vids.

7. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? I think the refurb is a huge discount. I think 16gb is quite enough for me.. My music library is only about 10gb, of which only about 3gb I'm going to sync to my iPod. I don't commute much either, so whenever I feel like I need some space, I can just delete stuff that I don't want..

Is that a sound argument? I mean, the difference between the new one and the one i'm buying is $120, isn't that a bit expensive?

8. OffBrand macrumors member

I currently use a refurbished Touch, and it works fine. There was some light wear on the back plate, but it wasn't bad if that matters to you. A 2nd generation version isn't likely to have 3.1, but $4.95 is less than what I paid if it comes to that :eek:

9. na1577 macrumors 6502a

You're obviously concerned about price, and if you're not going to use the storage then you're wasting $120. I recommend the 16GB.

10. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I am a little bit concerned about price. I am even holding back to buy RAM and HDD for my macbook (I know they're really cheap, but I'm just going to hold back until i really need it)... so yeah. I think I'll order one today or tomorrow. we don't know how long these refurb are going to be there.

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

That's true...if you're worried about the price and you're willing to delete the stuff then the 16gb will suit you better. :]
    All in all, as long as you're happy haha.

12. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Yes. It represents more value than getting a new one.

13. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I got the refurb 16GB and it's grand. Indistinguishable from brand new. Nice bit of gear, with plenty of space for my uses. Don't know how I managed without it before...