Should I buy refurbished Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pjr17, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Pjr17, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I've never purchased a refurbished Apple product before but I have friends and coworkers that have had luck with them.

3. Sherif.Ihssan macrumors newbie

Don't go for refurbished staff, it's covered by 3 months warranty, which means it is less in quality. My advice to you is NO even if it's cheaper, it's better to go for a new Mac Book.

Take Care.

4. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

I have bought refurbished almost exclusively and had great experiences... the couple things you need to know are:

1. You might not get a retail box -- which for me was not a big deal
    2. Your serial number i believe will start with an "r" so it will be different from a new serial number

Occasionally with refurb purchases you will get an invisible upgrade ie extra ram or hard drive space. also they have the exact same warranty as a new system.. so there is nothing to lose.

5. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

Search the boards here for your answer. There are a lot of postings on buying refurb, the vast majority of them positive. In my case, the postings from this forum gave me the confidence to buy an iMac 24" refurb, and I'm glad I did. It came in totally flawless inside and out. Not a scratch, not a whisper of anything wrong. Perfect even under scrutiny. And all refurbs, like the new computers, come with a full one-year of Apple Care. I plan on buying only refurb from here on out. (At least from Apple. Other companies may not be so thorough.)

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

That is not correct for the US. Apple Store refurbs get the same warranty as new units and are also eligible for AppleCare. If you don't have to have the latest and greatest untouched computer, Apple Store refurbs can be a great deal. I would have gotten one if they weren't sold out when I bought my MBP.

A lot of time refurbs are new units returned by customers that changed their mind. Once opened they cannot be sold as new.

7. cwheatley macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

that's incorrect. the warranty is exactly the same as it is on new machines.

if anything, the quality is better, because it has been thoroughly inspected for faults, as opposed to just coming off the line.

8. Keebler macrumors 68030

as folks have pointed out, the warranty is the same as new.

i bought a refurb'd imac last year and a refurb'd macbook pro. saved about $300 off each purchase - was enough to use those savings to upgrade the ram through a local store.

as far as i'm concerned, i'll always buy a refurb. go click buy and then drool as you follow the fedex shipment tracking and in almost a year, buy applecare if you like to protect your warranty for longer.

:)

9. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I bought a refurb MacBook Pro 2.2ghz 3 months ago and it was in brand new condition. The only difference was the plain brown box it came in. I have bought plenty of refurbs and they are always fine. Plus you can get the free printer after rebate with refurbs.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'll let you know about my first refurb MBP experience in a few hours (according to FedEx!) when mine arrives :D

So excited!

11. keehun macrumors regular

Keep us updated, as I'm planning on a refurb mbp. :)

12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I have boughten most of my iPods refurbed and they have been pretty much brand new. I just ordered a Classic last week.

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

FedEx tracking site was inaccurate. But it arrived today.

OK, so...
    - came in plain brown packaging
    - all accessories including Apple Remote (this was the previous-gen MBP)
    - Leopard installed, and OS X 10.5 drop-in disc included in box
    - laptop is in pristine shape, couldn't tell it from brand new
    - no dead pixels (that I can tell), no obvious flaws
    - not a fan of the reduced tilt angle compared to my previous PowerBook
    - LCD is BRIGHT!
    - got hot very quickly as Spotlight indexed the drive
    - no "free" upgrades... oh well

So as far as buying the refurb goes I have a like-new previous-generation unit that I paid $1549 Cdn for, instead of $2099 for the current version. Can't complain!

14. G-Com macrumors regular

My new 24-inch aluminum iMac is a refurb. Less than two months old and it works beautifully.

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

My dad's 24-inch iMac and my older 5.5g 30GB iPod was refurbs, both worked perfectly.

16. msw123307 macrumors 6502

What everyone else said - Apple's refurb products are top-notch. Same warranty as new..so no worries!

17. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Yes, don't you just hate it when Apple sticks you with the 2nd string staff, not the 1st string :p

18. Pjr17, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

Pjr17 thread starter macrumors newbie

19. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

^^ According to my past experience, I think you'll be very happy with your decision.

Nothing wrong with a refurbished staff, I say. I do mine all the time.
    Sorry.

20. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Gandalf's staff was refurbished, and it came with a 3,000 year warranty.

21. G-Com macrumors regular

22. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Just got my refurbed 80GB iPod Classic today... Literally looks brand new.