Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
around
I'm trying to decide between buying an ipad or an ipad 2. Of course the first ipad is cheaper and I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. I know QVC lets you make payments on the first ipad (and it's not a credit card either), but they do jack the total price up. Of course it is a 64GB with accessories, but I like that the ipad 2 is faster and looks better, but I will have to pay full price for the ipad 2.

For the ones who have the first ipad. Do you still have it, or are you planning on upgrading right now? Is the first ipad adequate enough to meet your needs such as internet browsing, playing games, and streaming Netflix?

Blacklabel34

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Orange County
This has been discussed over and over again....anyways

I still have the original iPad (Got it within a week of the original release) Happy with it since I have no interest in facetime or playing graphic intensive games. I use my iPad for browsing the net, checking email, keeping organized with the calendar app, watching a movie while on a plane, and the occasional Angry Birds or Racing. I don't plan on getting iPad2 since I have all the features I need with my current iPad. Until Apple puts a HD/Retina screen in the iPad I will continue to use my original.

As far as your situation is concerned you should look at it like this.
iPad2 has been out for 91 days. So based on the MacRumors buyers guide another isn't due for 252 days.
Maybe it will be a little more or a little less, nobody knows but Steve.
If you buy the first gen iPad then decided to upgrade to iPad3 your going to take an even bigger blow as the resale value of the first gen will drop even more once the newer one is released.
If you buy iPad2 and decide you want the 3rd gen you wont take as much of a loss but your inital cost will be higher then buying iPad1. Not sure if that helped but it just depends on how long you plan on keeping it.

Last edited:

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
If your budget better allows you the first gen, get that one. You will not be disappointed. My wife is still very happy with her first gen model. I on the other hand, had to get the iPad 2 and I like it very much. I sold my first gen to get it. I'm not unhappy with that decision.

If you get the first gen, you will still be very happy with it!

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
With a limited budget I'd get the first one. It works great. I have both 1 and 2 and while 2 is faster and a bit lighter it's not that spectacularly better than getting a 1 at a good price.

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana
I have the iPad and have no intention of upgrading until they have the retina screen and even then I may not. I use mine for some simple gaming, web browsing, e-mail, etc. My XBOX is where I get my high quality gaming fix. If your usage would be like mine, I'd stay with the cheaper iPad.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Go with the iPad 1. It's a solid tablet that was a year ahead of its time. It will be updated to iOS 5 soon and the only justification for the iPad 2 right now is the cameras. If you don't need them, definitely go for the much cheaper iPad 1 if money is a concern.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
around
Thanks so much everyone for your help. Looks like I'll go with the first iPad 64gb! Now just have to wait for it!

Stefx73

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Canada
If money is a concern and you'd have to go in debt to buy an iPad (payments...) , I don't think it's a good idea to get one.
Wait until your financial situation has improved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.