Should I buy right away?

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
284
0
Not sure if I should buy this year or buy next year. I'm in no rush, just want the best. I know the best comes out every year, I just want the best investment, not sure if I should spend my money now or wait. Making this discussion for tomorrow after the Air is announced. Just wondering if anyone knew any leaked info already. Thanks.
 

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
4,989
192
Waiting another day won't kill you.

Is only an investment if by owning it, you can claim additional income derived directly from it THIS YEAR, otherwise it's an expense.

But everybody knows 2013 is the BEST INVESTMENT YEAR, we won't see another like it until the 22nd century. :p
 

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2009
3,328
449
Brazil
Not sure if I should buy this year or buy next year. I'm in no rush, just want the best. I know the best comes out every year, I just want the best investment, not sure if I should spend my money now or wait. Making this discussion for tomorrow after the Air is announced. Just wondering if anyone knew any leaked info already. Thanks.
Well, it depends on what comes out tomorrow. A new MBA should be announced, with Haswell. Note, however, that the MBA to be announced tomorrow shall carry the same design as the previous generation, and this design dates back from late 2010. The MBA will get a redesign sooner or later, and if it is not redesigned tomorrow, it will be in 2014.
 

futureweber

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
7
0
Should I get the new macbook air? or the macbook pro non-retina? I'm a student. I want an ssd and atleast 8bg+ ram
 

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
284
0
Well, it depends on what comes out tomorrow. A new MBA should be announced, with Haswell. Note, however, that the MBA to be announced tomorrow shall carry the same design as the previous generation, and this design dates back from late 2010. The MBA will get a redesign sooner or later, and if it is not redesigned tomorrow, it will be in 2014.
im tempted to buy one, i have been saving since early last year, and have finally made enough. not sure if i should buy now.
 

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
1,411
1
Should I get the new macbook air? or the macbook pro non-retina? I'm a student. I want an ssd and atleast 8bg+ ram
well - the airs are SSD only and you can upgrade to SSD on the MBPs. both can have 8g RAM so basically it's up to you.

you could make a solid case for either for a student, but without more information about what kind of student you are or what your needs/wands are what do you want us to tell you?

best advice: go to the fruitstand and play with them yourself.
 

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
1,617
3
im tempted to buy one, i have been saving since early last year, and have finally made enough. not sure if i should buy now.
If it took saving for 12+ months to get enough money for it, I'd stick with whatever you have.

Or buy the base model for $999.
 

happyslayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
913
424
Glendale, AZ
I have the 2011 model 11" Air and I've been waiting and saving all year for the new model, I desperately want the better battery life! I just ordered the base model 11" with the additional RAM. (Upped it to 8 gigs.) So the base price was $1099.00. With AppleCare ($249.00) and Sales tax (Glendale, AZ $144.00) and the $10.00 power adapter converter (so I can use my old extra chargers.) and the shipping ($14.00,) it worked out to just over $1500.00. I hope that helps you decide.

You could skip AppleCare for now, I think, and just pick it up within the year--(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that; that's how it used to be.) So your cost could be less.

But, for the extended battery life alone, I would definitely recommend you get the new model!
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
Not sure if I should buy this year or buy next year. I'm in no rush, just want the best. I know the best comes out every year, I just want the best investment, not sure if I should spend my money now or wait. Making this discussion for tomorrow after the Air is announced. Just wondering if anyone knew any leaked info already. Thanks.
Are you looking for an investment or a computer to use? If you're looking for an investment, speak to a financial adviser.

If you want a computer to use, buy one.
 

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
284
0
You have provided zero information on what you are 'updating' from nor what your requirements are.
Well we have 2 iMacs, they are both used by the entire family, but I was looking for my own computer for easier use and photo editing. The iMac now is workable for my needs but id like to move on. I want to get it now but I have a feeling a redesign of the air next year will be worth editing for
 

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
2,201
0
Well we have 2 iMacs, they are both used by the entire family, but I was looking for my own computer for easier use and photo editing. The iMac now is workable for my needs but id like to move on. I want to get it now but I have a feeling a redesign of the air next year will be worth editing for
Odds are the Air will be updated every year so it depends on how long you want to wait.