Should I buy the Apple in ears?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Doju, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I've been reading a lot of reviews, and they say for the $70 price tag, they're still an amazing buy for that category and that they outdo some $150+ headphones. They really look nice too, plus they're made by Apple so compatibility is nice.

But the thing is, they're around $25 on eBay! This must make them a no brainer, right?

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Yes. They are great. I got mine for $80 new via Apple about a year ago, and my uncle got a pair for $19.99 four days ago (he got them yesterday too, free shipping), and my mom and dad got them for $34.99 with free shipping.

They all work great and exactly like they said they would, except all of them have a "scratched case" (which is mentioned in the auction) which I don't even use.

3. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Where did they buy them for so cheap? I know they sell some on eBay but those are not the ones that Apple make even though they look exactly the same.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I love mine. My ears have a love-hate relationship with the silcone tips so my friend gave me these awesome memory foam type tips that passed the test. Just took a flight where I always find them falling out when I tilt my head and sleep and this was not the case. Very good sound from a non-audiophile person.

5. holyindian macrumors 6502

no... period!!

Check out NuForce N7 U will never regret.

6. Paul B macrumors 6502

I posted this in another thread, but these are the ones on eBay that you're talking about, right?

1) $25.99 + $4.95 shipping - seller: eugenethe11great (364 feedback, 98.7% positive)
    2) $39.99 + free shipping - seller: 7dime (364 feedback, 100% positive)

I'm skeptical that they're actually genuine because the prices are almost too good to be true, but the sellers have excellent feedback..

7. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

How do you know they're not?

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

From what I've seen in the markets here none of the fakes have volume controls and they have a cheap plasticky cable opposed to the anti-tangle rubber cables on the real stuff.

I bought a $10US pair of fake Apple in-ears and they came with a very real looking box and manuals but they don't have the vol controls/rubbery cable.

The auction by 'eugenethegreat' is selling a USED pair of in-ears so that price isn't TOO out of the ordinary.

9. lollicup macrumors regular

It's ebay so buyer beware

don't come back here and complain that you got ripped off

That said. For 25-40 I think the apple in ear headphones are a damn good deal ( Once my Er-6i's wear out i will probably buy them)

10. reliantj macrumors 6502

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have the Apple in-ear headphones with remote. Sound good. Work great.

Some have mentioned Apple imitation in-ear headphones that don't have a remote. These may still be genuine in-ear headphones. Before Apple made in-ear headphones with a remote, they made an in-ear headphone model without a remote. Original cost was around $40 if memory serves.

12. reliantj macrumors 6502

dre beat solos are awesome cause they're over the ear, not as big and bulky as other cans and includes a mic and controls. not sure that volume rocker on it works for 3gs, does for ipod touch though.
    awesome set of cans, steep price of $170. on the main site it's listed as $200 and is in reserve atm.

13. bcgflow macrumors newbie

I thought about getting Apple IEM's then ended up getting the HeadDirect RE0.. i'm pretty happy with those

14. ihonda macrumors 68000

i like my apple in-ears just because they sound good for the price and the mic works with the 3gs :)

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I like the Apple IEM's much better than these.....in fact, I hated the NuForce.

S-

16. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I'm using them, the sound's pretty decent but I don't like using the remote. Everytime I click, it feels like my earphone is dropping out and I have to re-adjust them.

17. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

No. I hate them.

The sound is very flat and you get tonnes of noise from the cable every time you move. They're almost useless if listening to music when walking/running (both for that reason and the fact that the mic/remote pulls on the earbuds eventually pulling them out completely if you don't push them back in every few minutes).

Also, I wish it wasn't just a simple y-cord. My Sonys have one headphone cord longer than the other so it can go behind your neck - that way, when you take out the headphones they just hang around your neck. No such feature with the Apple cans.

As for the $25-on-eBay thing, I suspect they're counterfeit.

18. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

No, I was talking about the new-style Apple in-ears ($79) that only have the clicker+mic (like the clicker in the headphones that came with the iPhone/iPhone 3G) but no volume controls. Those are fake for sure.

I know about the original Apple in-ears ($39, I actually have 2 pairs of them heh) - those don't have any clicker of any kind.

19. newConvert macrumors regular

I've had two pairs fail on me in a row! Both pair worked great for a few days, then I noticed lots of static in one ear, then the volume only comes out about half way for that ear.... its very odd, might try once more and see what happens, but I can't believe my luck.

20. Aurial macrumors 6502

I've had mine fail on me too over the last week. Both ears have become very quiet, with the left being about half the volume of the right ear.

Unfortunately I've lost my receipt so it looks like that was £57 down the drain.