Should I Buy the Apple Magic Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Omar El-Etr, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Omar El-Etr macrumors newbie

well.. I tried the apple magic mouse at that store and I liked it's design and the multitouch gestures but some review said it's a bit slow and not worth the money so what do you recommend?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you tried it and liked it, then buy it.

I have one and I like it.

3. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

As the above poster said, if you like it then buy it. You are going to get mixed results. Some people like
    It and some don't. Me personally, I don't. I prefer the Logitech anywhere mouse.

Good luck.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I love my Magic Mouse
    I have one for home and one at work (I commute with my MBA)

Best Mouse I have ever used

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Depends what your primary use for it will be. Productivity, gaming or general web.
    There are far better mice out there.
    Apple's pointing devices have always been very hit and miss.
    The "Magic" Mouse wins on looks, but I have found it hinders precise work with apps such as Rhino 3D or ArchiCad.

Since you have a trackpad you can use that for gestures and get a mouse like the Logitech MX series.

IMHO, of course. ;)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I really like mine. Get yourself some Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries to go with it so you never have to buy more batteries.

I have never found it to be slow in any way.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I switched to PC a few months ago and one thing I've been missing is the Magic Mouse. With BetterTouchTool, that thing was unbeatable. You could easily have over 20 gestures for it and it was still very usable. Now I'm stuck with two extra buttons.

In some cases, Magic Mouse is a bit slower than other mice but I still found it better.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Many find the Magic Mouse too "flat" for long term use. Personally one of the reasons I prefer the Mac platform is the Magic Trackpads on the notebooks and otherwise I prefer to use a trackball or pen tablet.

:confused: It's easy enough to install a BT adapter and the Apple drivers to get a Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad installed on Windows 7?!? Is it just the OS X gestures you are missing?

B

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I know I could use it as a regular mouse but to be honest, Magic Mouse sucks without the gestures. It's true that it's not the most comfortable mouse too.

10. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

I hated mine at first because I wasn't used to the gestures you could do on it. It came with my iMac and I really didn't have time to go and buy the trackpad so I just sucked it up.

A few months later and I'm still using my Magic mouse. I haven't done any editing in a while so I'm going to continue to use this until I start doing that again.

All in all, not a bad device! If you're thinking about buying one, just go and try one at your local Best Buy or Apple Store.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"well.. I tried the apple magic mouse at that store and I liked it's design and the multitouch gestures but some review said it's a bit slow and not worth the money so what do you recommend?"

Before you settle on the Magic Mouse, I recommend that you try some Logitech mice, particularly the higher-end ones.

They're wonderful "critters" -- much better than any Apple mouse I've used....

12. Takashi macrumors regular

I like the looks, but I don't like the ergonomics of it. It feels like I am sliding a piece of flat plastic around the table. I do like the "wheel-less" design since that wheel can get dirty very easily.

13. rebby macrumors 6502

I bought one and really liked it but found that, in the end, it's just easier to use the onboard trackpad so mine just sits in my closet. Of course, if you have a Pro or a Mini, that's not really an option...

14. Hestian macrumors newbie

Had one since it first came out---absolutely terrific mouse ----no dirt issues-----just do normal everyday stuff---no gaming...also just got trackpad--works great too...

15. d.steve macrumors regular

Slow? For what? Games? I haven't noticed anything slow about it, but I don't play games. So, I don't think it's an issue in the least for general use.

I really like the Magic Mouse a lot, and hate having to use standard 3+ button/wheel mice anymore. but YMMV.

----------

Or slow on tracking speed? That can be adjusted.

16. srshaw macrumors 6502

I bought one with my MBP, but to be honest prefer the trackpad. This was my first mac and hadn't realised quite how functional the trackpad would be.

17. sammjordan macrumors member

Unless you'll be bringing it around with you wherever you go, I'd spend a little bit more and get a magic trackpad..worth the upgrade

18. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

It's good for some thing. Not good for others. But like already mentioned, if you like it, buy it.

19. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I like the Magic Mouse. I have read a lot of negative comments about it, but I enjoy using it. I also like the trackpad on my MBA. It seems that apple is pushing more toward the trackpad. i.e. there seem to be more gestures on the trackpad. I am considering getting a trackpad for my iMac to use in addition to the MM. I am keeping the mouse because I find it hard to do smaller more precise things with the trackpad.

If you like it, buy it. :)

20. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I love the magic mouse. Slow ? For me no problem. I don't do any gaming with the mouse and for photo post processing, Xcode, mail, whatever else I do it's perfect. I wish I could use the same at my company W7 desktop with all gestures.

21. chrisvee macrumors regular

Go find one and give it a try, and see for yourself! Ultimately, it is you who is making the purchase, right? :p

In any case, I was thinking of getting one myself a little while back, but I ended up swaying away from the Magic Mouse. Mainly because of its non-ergonomic design - it felt HORRIBLE in my hand! Of course, that would depend on how large your hands are, or how you hold your mouse.

I ended up getting a Razer Orochi, and I am quite happy with it! It can use bluetooth OR be wired via a removable USB cable. I got it on sale too! :D

22. wassal43 macrumors member