should i buy the edu or regular fcp

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
As far as I can tell, there is no difference between the two versions of the software, just that Apple is willing to sell the software cheaper if you are indeed in education. You don't specifically say whether you are a student or not, but if you are, go ahead and purchase the education version because you are entitled to it.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I think the Edu. versions of softwear don't let you upgrade you would have to either 1) buy a new version that isn't acidemic so you can upgrade for a cheeper price or 2.) just keep on buying the edu versions of them which i think will be more exspensive in the long run. Im not possitive about this

sorry if that didnt make sense.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
macapple said:
thanks alot i will probably go for the full
If you mean the education discount, there is no difference at all. You just buy this version cheaper. All things like upgrades and updates, etc. are the same price as full.

Basically, edu software is the same as regular software, just cheaper.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
They both work exactly the same, but technically you're not allowed to use the Educational version to produce commercial work.

So you can't use it for something that makes money.

Not that anyone would be able to stop you if you did.

It's your call.

Also, you can't upgrade the educational version.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
macapple said:
thanks alot i will probably go for the full
??? the EDU version is EXACTLY the same as the "regular" version. not to beat a dead horse, but if you qualify for the EDU version, there is no reason not to get it.

macapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Switzerland
but if i cant upgrade it their is no point! since i will regulartly upgrade it (every new version)

how about photoshop cs2 do they do edu

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Check out Academic Superstore. They have some killer deals on software and some decent discounts on hardware too. Only catch is from what I hear you have to provide proof of eligibility, i.e. student schedule, photo student/teacher ID, paystub etc... but you're not trying to cheat are you. :eek:

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
academic software, all of it AFAIK, has a clause or whatever the term is in it that basically says you can't use it for a commercial purpose. like if you use academic FCP for a for-profit project you're in violation of the EULA. that's one of the reasons they can charge incredibly much less for it.