Should I buy the Ipad 3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fontane, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

I currently own a late-2010 13-inch macbook air which I absolutely love. I use it for everything including surfing in bed at night. I also have a basic kindle that i use for reading books. Love it too.

I was convinced that I wanted an Ipad 3, but after thinking further, I don't know what functionality it will give me over the air and kindle (for reading).

I've looked at multiple threads from people who were trying to decide between the two, but would really like to hear from anyone who actually uses bothm, and specifically, for what purposes you use each device.

Thanks in advance.

PS, this purchase would be a complete splurge -- definitely something i "want" and probably don't "need."

2. neil1980 macrumors 6502

You've already summed it up at the end by saying its a want not a need.

I've got a MacBook (although not an air) a Kindle and an iPad 3 (and a 1 previous to that)

I'd say that I don't use the iPad a great deal though do find it handy for watching TV, Netflix and general browsing in bed, other than that I generally use my MacBook downstairs or Kindle for ebooks wherever.

If you're anything like me I'd say you won't use it enough to justify having one...but its a very nice gadget that I don't regret buying (If any of that makes sense)

3. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

If the air is your only machine then I would stick with it. For me the Mac ipad combo is only a real benefit if you have a desktop machine

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I've got an iMac, 13" MBA, iPad 2 and an iPad 3. I go through spurts of using the iPad and not using it. It can't replace an actual laptop for my needs (RDP, MS Office, real keyboard, etc), but I bought the iPad 3 to replace the iPad 2 simply for reading more online content (the retina display really is a huge improvement over the iPad 2). I do love the iPads in general; I read a lot of digital comics which makes the device worth it for me if that's all I do.

I can safely say that I never feel like I need the iPad unless I want to read digital comics. Everything else I can do on the iMac and MBA perfectly well (or better), and I have my iPhone for anything in between.

At the end of the day I still want the iPad. Its great for reading, games, video watching, etc, but it really is just a want in my world at the moment. (Although, I do love the IPS screen in the iPad over the TN panel in the MBA. Somes days I wonder if that's one of the main reasons I love it. Ahahaha.)

5. kblack macrumors newbie

You should

If it's a want and not a need, you can afford it and aren't going to miss a few meals, then I'd say go for it.
    For me it has been nice to leave my laptop at home or at the office, use my iPad for RDP and do whatever I need to do from where ever I need to do it.

Got a Rocketfish bluetooth keyboard at Best Buy and it truly made the third gen Ipad a laptop replacement for me.

6. Gatorman macrumors regular

If you're having doubts, chances are you probably shouldn't buy it.

7. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the replies and for sharing your experiences. I'm still undecided but will say that I'm leaning against it at the moment. It would be a total splurge that I can afford and I wouldn't feel guitly for spending the money, but I would feel guilty for not using it. Still interested if anyone else has any experience to post.

8. twosee macrumors regular

twosee

Really depends what you think you'll use it for. I bought it mainly out of WANT not need. Already have an iPhone 4s and a MBP. Now I find myself using my ipad a lot. use it to check mail, reply, i have 4 magazines I subscribe to and read off it, some books. I like to draw so I use a few doodle and painting apps, my son uses it for some Disney apps and a few others. I find myself using my laptop much less, only for work related stuff now. but i do use it alot more than I thought i would

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Buy it. It's fantastic. I have two MBPs and use the iPad constantly.