Should i buy the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rZvFTW, Jan 20, 2011.

1. rZvFTW macrumors newbie

Hi guys I'm totally new on this forum, but i want you to ask something should i buy the iPhone 4 now ? or wait cause I've saw some news about the iPhone 5 releasing in the summer, ?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

A Verizon iPhone comes out next month
    An iPhone 5 will *probably* come out this summer, although nobody knows for sure
    Nor do they know what specs it might have

Only you can answer your question
    If you don't mind waiting 6 months... wait and see
    If you need one now, buy... its a great phone and will still be one if a new model comes out

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple tends to release their phones in June, so do you want to wait 6 months and get an iPhone 5 or get one now? The consensus is to wait, but I thin waiting 6 plus months is a tad excessive.

buy the iPhone now, and if the iphone 5 has features you must have, sell the iPhone 4, and buy the iPhone 5 at the unsubsidized price.

4. rZvFTW thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'll wait for it :D, cause i know that the iPhone 4 its a powerful device but
    the "iPhone 5" will have a dual core CPU which is like double the speed of the iPhone 4

5. warburg macrumors 6502

I wouldn't wait if I were you. I've been buying Apple products since the late 1980s. I have three MacBook Pros and an iphone 4. When you buy an Apple device, you can be assured that it will be dated within six months. If you wait to buy an iphone 5, there will be an iphone 5gs in short order, and people will be debating whether to buy it or wait until the iphone 6 comes out six months later.

6. stewacide macrumors regular

When the iPhone 4 launched I worried the CPU/GPU wouldn't be powerful enough to drive all those pixels smoothly. However I've never seen the 4 slow down or stutter under any load: everything is smooth and seemingly effortless.

Particularly since there's little 'real' multitasking on the iPhone - nor any reason for it - I don't see where adding a second core will provide any meaningful performance boost (IMHO dual-core ARMs only make sense in netbooks where you'll actually be multitasking in real time).

Now an improved GPU would crank up the eye candy slightly on the latest and greatest games, but again graphic performance on the iPhone 4 is already so good I don't see that being very compelling.

Unless there's some other possible feature in the pipeline I can't see the iPhone 5 being a noteworthy upgrade. Don't expect 3G -> 3GS like perceivable performance upgrades, or iPhone -> 3G networking improvements (even if it gets 4G, which it won't ).

7. stewacide macrumors regular

Adding more cores by no means 'doubles' the speed of the device. Firstly apps would have to be multithreaded, which they aren't. Secondly that assumes the CPU is a performance bottleneck which I doubt it often if ever is.

Unless the iPhone 5 introduces full concurrent multitasking I don't see what the second core will do. See: the RIM Playbook for an example of devs trying to justify the second core with useless battery-sapping eye-candy (i.e. live previews of non-focused apps, which doesn't even seem possible given the iOS gui)