Should I buy the iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tragedies, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I currently have a 3rd gen 4GB, and recently purchased a nokia 6300 (popular phone, very good) due to the iPhone's prepaid price (about 750 AUS) being a bit steep.

Anyway, I've conqured one step (buying a new mobile) and now want to buy a new iPod. Ive been eager for the iPhone for months but decided to face the fact that I don't need a smart phone, but I do need a new iPod. I like all the features the iPod Touch supports, and Wi-Fi is a great addition.

I'm ehre to ask what you ipod Touch owners think of your iPod. How is the video playback? Is the WiFi function? The new 2.0 firmware is something to lure me even more to buy the iPod Touch, however I jsut need some final convincing. Is it worth the money (8GB $400 AUS). Should I wait it out? I dont need a bigegr size, only thignt hat will affect me to wait is a price drop, however this seems unliekly due to other iPod prices (such as the classic and Nano).

Hope you guys can give your opinions on the iPod Touch.

Thanks for the help.

-mikey

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Hi Mikey!

I'm posting this at 7am so hopefully i make some sense to you.

How is the video playback? Great, no complaints, picture looks great

Is the WiFi function? My favorite function of all, safari works amazingly well for internet browsing/email

The new 2.0 firmware is something to lure me even more to buy the iPod Touch, however I jsut need some final convincing. Is it worth the money (8GB $400 AUS). this is a little steep, they are ~$300 AUS in canada

Should I wait it out? I dont need a bigger size, only thignt hat will affect me to wait is a price drop, however this seems unliekly due to other iPod prices (such as the classic and Nano). I don't see any drastic touch changes/drops in the next while, if you want one, grab it now

All in all, if you think you'd use it a lot for wifi (which really is the main selling point as well as a touch screen) then go for it. I am definetely not dissatisfied with mine. Any more questions feel free to ask

3. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I'm also planning to get one, but am at the very least waiting for the 2.0 software upgrade to finally appear.

4. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

I definitely recommend it. The screen and video playback are great, the Web browsing is amazing, and the audio is the best of any iPod I have owned. There is no question it is expensive, but cutting edge technology usually is.

5. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to hear positive things :D Do you think its possible to buy the iPod Touch from the US and ship? I would only pay for the iPod Touch 320 then, rather then four hundred.

Ill mainly use it for Wifi. So the wifi enables me to go near any hotspot (eg. airport) and use their internet, provided its not p/w or I know the p/w?

Thanks for the feedback and opinions

-mikey

edit; Just wondering, can the Wifi on the ipod touch max out? EG. I have a connection of X at my home network, but the ipod touch can only reach Y speeds?

6. sgtboy macrumors 6502

The only thing slowing down internet speeds would be the speed of the touch CPU etc. It can probably only process X data per second, and from what i've seen, its comparable to a PC using internet (of course a tad slower)

7. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, ok. Thats good =D So I'll finally be able to use my home's wireless network while in bed, rather then sitting at my Mac.

Oh the joy. I'll wait till the end of August, by then the 2.0 firmware should be in stock.

One last thing, how is the 'maps' feature?

8. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Like having a watered down Google Earth in your pocket, not as terribly helpful as you'd think, but fun to play around with and check out earth :cool:

9. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive been thinking a bit. I jsut biguht a nokia 6300 a efw weeks back (excellent phone, 5th best on the market too) and am wondering, should I save the money from the iPod Touch (400) and wait maybe a year (thereby using my old Nano) and buy the iPhone? Im sure by then it will either be 1) cheaper, due to dealers such as Optus (australia here) or Telstra putting down the price (I assume that's how prepaid pricing works over time?) or 2) more space.

Should i buy the iPod Touch now, and have the iPod Touch and a nokia 6300 (good phone), or wait a bit? My Nano *CAN* suffice for a bit, so that's one thing to know.

Ugh, this is so confusing =(

-mikey

10. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I find the app pretty useful. It's more than just a map, you can search for businesses by category in there too. So I mark my current location and search for "Restaurants" and it'll display ones nearby. Pretty handy.