Should I buy the Kindle Fire or COWON D3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by piatti, Apr 10, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

2. simsaladimbamba

Then get the Kindle out of the two, as the Cowon might be a bit small for comfortable reading, unless you want a small device.

What about one of those e-readers with proper screen?

3. 8281 macrumors 6502

I had a Kindle Fire for about three months, and during that time I found that I much preferred reading on their e-ink models. The "regular" Kindles can play music (they also have a pretty good web browser), and while they won't offer as much space (or versatility) as either of the tablets you've listed, they are far better reading devices (at least for me).

If I were in your position, I might consider going to Best Buy (or another retailer) to compare the reading experience between a back-lit device and an e-ink model.

4. piatti, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Ok so maybe I should buy the cheaper COWON for music only and Kindle for reading only as well as web browsing. More suggestions welcome.

I was hoping to also use bluetooth to type fast while on the browser, which would be only available for the COWON in this case. This can also connect with HDMI to a TV screen. (can it also connect to an external display? http://www.google.com/products/cata...5T_OYb69QTlmYnZCA&ved=0CIABEPICMAU#ps-sellers ) I'm also thinking of iPod touch.

----------

I guess the e-ink Kindles are perfect for reading where it's really bright, but in the dark can you have a Kindle light that spreads light evenly and very lightly throughout the screen?

5. hafr macrumors 68030

The leather cover with built in light is fantastic, it lights up the whole "page". Also, it feels very sturdy, so I never feel worried when I throw the Kindle in the bag. Couldn't be happier with it.

6. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Is it possible to read in the complete dark without the light being too bright? Is it adjustable to being barely lighting up any in the complete dark?

I guess this is one the big advantage of Stanza app on the iPhone, you can adjust the brightness really easily with swipe of the fingers.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

I have quite sensitive eyes after an eye surgery some years ago, and I have never found it to be too bright. So chances are you definitely won't ;) It's not adjustable, but I have actually never missed that function, despite being one of those who changes the brightness on the iPhone, computer screen and so on constantly.

8. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

What is the leather cover with built in light called?

9. hafr macrumors 68030